Can name track & artist w/ CD-text but not disc

eidling wrote on 12/30/2014, 9:06 AM
I bought CD Architect 5.2b (since upgraded to 5.2d) specifically because of its CD-Text capability. I have been able to name tracks and list the artist, but if I name the disc under "Properties" (I think that's how I do it - I'm at work and the program is on my home computer), it shows tracks but not the artist names.

I understand that if I put the artist name under "properties" it will show up on each track and that will be fine when I make a cd that only has one artist on it, but I like to make compilations. In this case, I have a compilation of songs an artist wrote - sometimes he sings them and sometimes someone else does. I don't want to put "various artists." What I want is to show each track, the specific artist who performs each track as well as the compilation name.

Prior to this I made such compilations using Roxio. I would make a cdr of the comp, pull the tracks from the cdr into Roxio name them, put in the artists' names and name the comp. This was fine, but it blocks me from saving the project, because I pulled the tracks from a cdr. That is why I purchased CD Architect - in order to not waste a cd each time I want to do this and to be able to save such a project on my computer once I've put it together.

I'm really hoping I haven't just purchased CD Architect for nothing and would appreciate any help on this issue.

Comments

Geoff_Wood wrote on 1/4/2015, 12:01 AM
It's possibly a little bit confusing , but in Properties "Title" means disc title. And in Track List is the track title.

Burned CD should reflect this. If not, suggest check for a CD-writer firmware update.

geoff
ChristoC wrote on 1/4/2015, 3:16 PM
Alt+Enter (or Menu File|Properties = Project Properties ... )
Summary Tab
Title (CD Text): Write the CD Title or Project Title here
Artist (CD Text): Write the overall CD Artist(s) here or leave Blank

Alt+6 (or Track List):
Title (CD Text): Write the individual Track Title here
Artist (CD Text): Write the individual Track Artist(s) here
eidling wrote on 1/5/2015, 2:11 PM
Thanks Geoff. I did undestand that, but when I entered each track name and each artist's name AND entered the title for the disc, all the specific artists' names did not show up.

I will look for a firmware update.

SInce posting, I learned that if I create a disc in Roxio with the artists, track names and disc named, I can extract it into CDA. Not the solution I was hoping for, but at least it allows me to save the project in CDA (Roxio doesn't allow that if the tracks have been taken off a CDR).

thanks again!
eidling wrote on 1/5/2015, 2:13 PM
Thank you Christo. I did understand that, but what happens is this:
I can make a disc with the song titles and artists' names, but if I give the disc a title (leaving the artist name blank because I have multiple different artists on the disc), none of the individual artists' names show up when the disc is played.

thank you again!
eidling wrote on 1/6/2015, 9:07 AM
Hi Geoff - I updated the firmware on both burners in my computer last night, but unfortunately I am continuing to have the same problem.
ChristoC wrote on 1/7/2015, 1:41 PM
Have you tried a test burn with something written in Project Properties|Summary Tab|Artist (CD Text)? e.g. "various" just to see if a non-entry here is somehow blocking the Track Artist displaying.
Normally a player will show the Project Properties texts when the disk is first inserted, followed by individual track title & artist as each track plays.

BTW
Windows Media Player (11) with CDText reader plugin finds & reads all CDText!
http://download.cnet.com/WMPCDText/3000-2169_4-10787548.html
Geoff_Wood wrote on 1/7/2015, 4:18 PM
And the info displayed in WMP without the plugin is nothing to do with CD-Text !

geoff
eidling wrote on 1/7/2015, 6:42 PM
Hi - Yes I am aware of that program that allows Windows Media Player to read CD Text and do have it installed.

I don't remember if I "tried a test burn with something written in Project Properties|Summary Tab|Artist." I think I did, but can try it again. You are thinking that if I have both the title of the disc and "various" in the artist space then maybe the individual artists' names will show?

I will try that (or try it again, as the case may be!)

thank you again!
eidling wrote on 1/9/2015, 8:42 AM
Hi Christo - From what I can tell, that seems to have solved the problem. My (erroneous) thinking had been that if I put in "Various" under project properties summary section that "various" would show up on the disc instead of the individual artists names, but that is happily not the case. It looks like I will now be able to use CDA as a method of inserting all of the CD-Text information I wanted to.

thanks very much for your help!