Can someone help please?

Cincyfilmgeek wrote on 2/3/2006, 5:22 PM
I have recorded some narration and when I place it in the audio track I am getting a (what sounds like) a surge every time the speaker is talking. I don't know if I have the noise gate correct or if I am not using the correct values or if I need to use another F/X to help clean it up somemore. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Comments

PipelineAudio wrote on 2/3/2006, 6:31 PM
if you bypass all the fx do you still hear this surge?

And whats a cincy ?
Cincyfilmgeek wrote on 2/3/2006, 7:11 PM
It's short for Cincinnati
PipelineAudio wrote on 2/3/2006, 9:18 PM
maybe put a link here to a bit of this behaviour, use something like yousendit.com to hang it at
Geoff_Wood wrote on 2/4/2006, 1:11 AM
Was the audio recorded on a camera with it's own noise-gating ?

geoff
Cincyfilmgeek wrote on 2/4/2006, 5:45 AM
No, the noise gating was added in Vegas
rraud wrote on 2/4/2006, 9:37 AM
Was it recorded with a camera that had the AGC (auto level) switched on?
Most consumer and prosumer cameras have no manual audio level control.. and really bad sounding AGC circuits... among the other low-grade audio components.
If that's the case, try to compensate with a volume envelope. or use some heavy compression.. but that may do more harm than good.
Cincyfilmgeek wrote on 2/4/2006, 8:36 PM
I have discovered that it is actually a hiss when the person is speaking and only when they speak. When the narrator talks you can hear the hiss and then when he is in between saying something, like the end of a sentence there is the drop out in volume becuase there is nothing there. How does one get rid of this hiss while he is speaking and how does one keep the volume from dropping out in between words, sentences, etc.. I am a rooking so I could use all the help I can get.
Chienworks wrote on 2/5/2006, 4:13 AM
What you are hearing is typical behavior for a noise gate. You could try increasing the delay to avoid dropping between words, but the overall effect will still be the same.

Instead of noise gate you should try noise reduction. SONY sells it as a separate package, but it's very much worth the price if you deal with this sort of thing often.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 2/5/2006, 6:45 AM
I agree with Chienworks, you really want to use noise reduction. If you can’t afford Sony’s Noise Reduction, try BIAS Sound Soap 2. I use it all the time and it’s very effective.

~jr
Cincyfilmgeek wrote on 2/5/2006, 8:48 AM
Thank you guys so much. Everyone here is so helpful.
Cincyfilmgeek wrote on 2/5/2006, 11:01 AM
Purchased Noise reduction and it took it away perfectly! Narration sounds incredible now! Thanks everyone.