Can't Register Vegas 5 & DVDArc

tjw wrote on 8/24/2004, 8:01 AM
Just purchased Vegas 5 and DVD Architect and I can't get them to accept the serial numbers. I enter the numbers and click on NEXT and the computer just sits there. Called Tech Support, they told me to uninstall, delete the sub directories , reboot, reinstall. Same thing. Sent me the .REG files. When I click on them it says it can't write to the registry. Tried adding a new user with admin privledges, same results. They told me to reformat my hard drive and reinsall all software. Didn't sound like a good solution. Any ideas?

Tom

Comments

stormstereo wrote on 8/25/2004, 8:48 AM
"...can't write to the registry".
That can't be good. Sorry, no ideas right now. If I can't write to the registry even with Admin prevs, I'd consider reformat. Any other quirks with your system, or registry protection via some security software?

Best/Tommy
jyoung50 wrote on 8/25/2004, 9:46 AM
Before you reformat your HD - If you are running XP or W2K look at the permissions for the registry key that is being updateded. I've seen cases where even users with Admin priveledges did not have permission to update a registry key. With XP you can look at the permisstions directly with regedit. With Win2K you will need to run the regedt32.exe program.
tjw wrote on 8/25/2004, 10:16 AM
Got hold of someone in Tech Support that helped me get Vegas to install, but still no luck with DVD Arc.
Had to go into REGEDIT, then HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Media Software\Vegas and change the permissions and turn on FULL CONTROL and READ. Then import the REG file. Vegas then accepted my serial number and runs just fine.
Tried the same thing for DVD Arc, but no luck.
tjw wrote on 8/27/2004, 1:56 PM
Finally got both VEGA and DVDA working thanks to Kimberly at SONY. She called me and we tried all sorts of things for about an hour and got them working. Hard to say exactly what we did, we did so much, but it had to do with what seemed to be a bad REG file, the REGISTRY was not holding permissions and I had my tongue in the wrong position.

Now to learn the programs.

Tom