Capture device not connected?

Steve Grisetti wrote on 8/14/2003, 8:10 AM
Okay, everything worked fine for a while there.

But now, after I've connected my camcorder, Screenblast/Video Factory won't recognize it. It says that, if it is connected, it's in use by another piece of software (even though Screenblast is the only program I have running).

The computer certainly recognizes the connection. I even get an icon on my taskbar.

And I can capture and output in other programs. And, even more strangely, even when Screenblast tells me the camcorder isn't connected, I can force it to capture in Screenblast! But I can't force it to output.

Could it be that even using one of my other editing programs once "stole" the capture card from Screenblast? I suppose I could try re-installing Screenblast and see if it will steal it back, but that seems like such a short-sighted solution.

Is there a simple setting I'm missing?

Comments

briggins wrote on 8/17/2003, 12:27 PM
I'm having the same exact problem. I can capture in Movie Maker and Premier but not Video Factory. And it used to work fine. By the way, did you recently install the Microsoft RPC patch due to the blaster virus? I did and I wonder if that might have something to do with it.

I'm stumped.

Bruce
briggins wrote on 8/17/2003, 1:14 PM
I fixed my problem, hopefully it will help you too. Go to "Options => Preferences" and go to the "Disk Management" tab. Make sure that the paths that you have entered for where to capture to really exist on your computer. My path was "E:\MovieStudio\" but at some point I deleted this folder and now, weeks later, hadn't forgotten that fact. After pointing to an existing hard drive folder everything works fine.

What a stupid, stupid, stupid error message to generate when VF just can't find the default capture folder.

Hope this helps.

Bruce