Capture VHS to DV

Ktawfik wrote on 2/26/2005, 8:51 AM
Hi, I have my wedding video in VHS format and I was wondering if you can help me one of the best ways to convert it to DV format. The video is about 2.5 hours. I have ATI AIW 9000 and I used the composite connection to connect it to my VCR

1) The quality was good at all when convereted
2) the file size was well over 6 GB which I dont think is going to help

I read about Digital Hi8 cam corder with pass through feature, will this provide better quality or should I invest in the Canopus 100 or 300 (although I dont want to pay the money :)

Thanks a lot for your help

Comments

beerandchips wrote on 2/26/2005, 8:55 AM
I have the ADVC-100. Great, great product. Might be a little pricey at 275 bucks US, but well worth it. Better yet the 110 will take power from your computer via firewire.

Good luck.

Steve
BillyBoy wrote on 2/26/2005, 9:16 AM
"1) The quality was good at all when convereted"

Did you mean to say quality WASN'T good?

If not, then investing in a Canopus A/D converter may help. Unlike the 100, which is just a converter, the 300 has powerful filtering ability that helps to "improve" video quality when converting from a analog source to DV*. How much if any improvement and if or not its worth it depends on the quality of the source file and the filter settings.

* by starting with a composite signal the 300 has circurity that can remove video noise and cross distortion from the color and lumaniance portions of the video signal.

Alternative ideas include what device you use to play back your video. For example I recently invested in a DVD player ** that supports upconverting. This can improve preceived "quality" when playing back less then prestine videos. Again, how much an improvement, if any, is subjective. I've had good lucky with some crappy old video tape I had, doing my usual thing with Vegas, then running it through the Canopus and even some not run through the Canopus, looks a good deal better just viewed on the upconverted DVD player. Your mileage may vary.

** These may be hard to find in retail stores. If you do fine one, the chip that does all the work needs to be a specific chip and then also tuned (at factory) to get good results. One such model is the Zenith DVB 318.

DO NOT invest in such a DVD player unless you already have or plan to get a HD TV capable of playing back the higher resolution.

Lastly, one fix that should give good "improvement" and requires you do nothing is how any tape or DVD plays back. If you are only viewing with composite cable connection or even just S video going to component or digital connections between the DVD player and TV can mean a BIG improvement. Of course both devices need to support such connections.
nickle wrote on 2/26/2005, 11:07 AM
If you are capturing in Vegas, the AIW defaults to 320x240.

Go into the "video\capture\capture properties and change it to 720x480 or 640x480 and then capture.
Ktawfik wrote on 2/26/2005, 11:51 AM
sorry I am really new to this but I am trying to learn quickly. THanks for all your help

If 6 GB is way too small and it should be around 13 GB, then how will they fit onto one DVD of 2 hours. Also, I tried to get Vegas to capture through Composite but I couldnt find the settings. can someone guide me

Any other tricks using AIW & Vegas to enhance the video capture

Thanks
nickle wrote on 2/26/2005, 12:03 PM
When you go into the Capture screen, click on the Video tab at the top.

There you will see composite/tuner/s-video at the bottom. Select what applies.

There you will also see the capture properties for various settings.

TV tuner lets you change channels.

Capture/capture lets you change resolution.

The Audio tab lets you change inputs to match your device.

Then click the Capture button
nickle wrote on 2/26/2005, 12:16 PM
For your other question, you will be rendering to mpeg2 for your DVD which will be much smaller than the AVI you are capturing.
Ktawfik wrote on 2/26/2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks a lot I found it. I resized the capture video as well. I have a porblem with Audio, I can hear it but it doesnt record not sure why. I will play with the settings.

Thanks
nickle wrote on 2/26/2005, 12:36 PM
In the Audio tab, select your input (line, aux etc.) then check the "enable" box.
Ktawfik wrote on 2/26/2005, 7:09 PM
Thanks, which format do you recommend for capture. Mpg or AVI

Thanks
nickle wrote on 2/26/2005, 7:12 PM
AVI absolutely for editing. You will see the time on the timeline and edit it down to the appropriate length for your DVD then render to mpeg2.