CDA Workflow and High Bit Rate files

ctbarker32 wrote on 1/28/2007, 1:00 PM
Hi,

I've been using CDA pretty heavily lately to archive out of print LPs (ECM Jazz for instance) to my music server to use with my Slimdevices Squeezebox network.

My current workflow is as follows:

1. Capture audio in SoudForge 8 at 48k/24b. Run high pass EQ to eliminate audio below 20hz and nomalize (music setting). Save to PCA lossless file.

2. Open saved PCA file in CDA and proceed to sequence and apply song fade ins an fade outs. Enter artist text information for CD TEXT support. Apply 16bit dithering plugin.

3. Write finshed disc to CD-RW with CDA.

4. Open MediaMonkey, which I use to manage my music server (running linux from Windows client), and read contents of previously burned CD-RW. Add missing tag info (Genre, etc.) and convert to lossless FLAC format.

How I would like to do things.

Since my Squeezeboxes can play higher bit rate files (e.g. 48k/24b) I would like to be able to sequence my audio with CDA but at the end write out the individual tracks (at original bit rate) to individual files to directly import to my Music Server. Ideally, I would like CDA to be able to write FLAC files directly but I would take WAV/PCM files as a start. It's a pet peeve of mine at the moment that Sony Media products refuse to support FLAC or DivX/Xvid files.

Any chance of these enhancements ever being made? Or, is there another program like CDA that would do this? In a perfect world CDA would be enhanced to be able to create other high resolution formats such as DVD-A as well.

Is CDA still actively developed?

Thanks.

-CB

Comments

Geoff_Wood wrote on 1/29/2007, 1:47 PM
If you are writing FLAC files. then you have no need for CD authoring at all, as FLAC files can only go on CD-ROM. Unfortunately SF/CDA doesn't do FLAC, but there are many cobverters that do without having to reboot into Linux !

However there is nothing to be gained by using 48K/24bit as with 'normal' careful input level setting, even your ECM LPs do not approach any limitation due to 'CD-quality' spec. Despite whatever any vinyl-snob might try to tell you.

geoff