CDA5 burns songs from different project???

walt2002 wrote on 6/25/2003, 10:15 AM
I've been a registered user of CDA, Sonic Foundry, and ACID Pro for years. I'm running a recording studio, and I use CDA5 to burn my session results to CD for listening between sessions. My client from last night just called to let me know that the three CD's we burned for him have the WRONG SONG on them (in fact, from a totally different artist). I am certain that this is a bug. We worked on no other song all night. This has happened at least one other time before that I'm aware of (about 2 months ago) but I never reported the problem before now.

Here is the entire sequence of events:

1. Record and mix the song in Cakewalk SONAR 2.2 XL, using various directX effects like Waves, etc. Export the song to 2-track WAV file, 24 bit, 44.1khz.

2. Open up CDA5, and click the icon (top left of screen) to create a new blank project.

3. Click the 3rd icon to Open Media, and browse to my new WAV file. Double-click on the title in the Media Pool and add the song to the project (this is now the one and only song on the CD). CDA starts "building peaks" and eventually shows me the wave form in the area at the top of the screen.

4. Right-click on the wave form, and select the option "Open Copy in Sound Forge". Then SF5.0 opens up, and a copy of my WAV comes in for editing.

5. Edit the WAV in SF5.0, removing snippets from the beginning and end of the song, and making it a few seconds shorter.

6. Click the Save icon (not Save As) in SF5.0 (saving the song to its automatically generated name "MySong Take 2"), wait a few seconds for it to be sure to be done saving, then close SF5.0.

7. Back in CDA now, my WAV is busy being replaced by the newly edited
version (automatically named "MySong Take 2.wav") from SF5.0 that I just
modified. However, the length of the clip in CDA still seems to be the same
as before (empty space at the end), so I drag the right edge of the WAV to
the left a bit and shorten the song appropriately so that it matches the
length of the edited WAV.

8. Add DirectX mastering effects to the master bus. Listen a few times.
Sounds great.

9. Insert blank CD-R. Click icon on top bar for "Burn CD...". The process
seems to go smoothly. When it asks if I want to create another disk I say
"Yes" and insert another blank CD-R. We create 3 CD's this way. I hand the
CD's to my client and they take off for home.

10. This morning I find out that the CD's don't have the song we worked on,
instead there's a song from another artist! I didn't work on anyone else
yesterday, just the one group. I open up the CDA project again today and
the correct song is in it, it plays fine, WAV still edited, mastering
effects working fine.

How could my client have gotten the wrong song burned on their CD-R??? No
other projects were worked on or even opened during this session, since the
previous night when another group was in.

Comments

kbruff wrote on 8/12/2003, 5:05 PM
unless those track titles point to other files on your hard drive -- there is a serious and unacceptable bug in CDA5 -- REPORT this profusely to tech support until the issue is resolved --
theseven wrote on 8/13/2003, 8:41 PM
i had the same thing happen.. I thought i was going crazy! CDA 5 was buggy on my XP machine from the start - it would burn the CD and then when I would eject the CD it would pull the CD tray back in over and over again. I had to restart the machine to get it to act right again. Then it would do this crazy lock-up thing where the mouse would suddenly go into slo-mo and everything would react really choppy until I restarted. Then the "totally embarassing burn a CD and get the call to tell me that it was the wrong song" incident. I had been calling tech support along and along and reporting these events but when I got that last doozy I asked for a refund and lo and behold... I got it! I think they have been having problems with this new CDA 5. I loved the old CDA and used it relgiously and without error until the "great turning-away".
Incidentally... after finding no other reliable substitute I called SF and talked it over with a tech support dude and re-purchased the upgrade and installed it on my Win98 machine and it works like a champ! For any serious "final CD" projects I have to transfer the files to that machine and burn from there. But at least it works and I can SEE the filesas I open them and I can easily change the spacing between songs and I can do all the wonderful things!!!
Geoff_Wood wrote on 8/14/2003, 2:28 AM
Sorry, can't offer an opinion on the 'wrong song' scenario, as I've not experienced it. Let's get this straight - you audioition the song in CDA5, then hit 'burn' , and the song on the CD is not the one on the timeline ? What happens if you leave out the SForge part ? Might be a filename problem.

But also, why are to doing the trimming inSforge ? You can do all that just as easily, if not more easily, right there on the CDA timeline !

geoff