Comments

kairosmatt wrote on 3/20/2010, 11:22 AM
The best way to do it is to right click on the event (clip) on the timeline and go to properties. Disable resampling, and set the playback rate to .0959 (23.976/25).

kairosmatt
DJPadre wrote on 3/20/2010, 11:28 AM
no offense, but why would you want to convert 25p to 24p?

If youre in PAL land, theres no need... 25 and 25p are so close to each other the human eye will barely notice... mind you file sizes are slightly smaller...

To do this, all you need to do is change your render output.
You dont have to change your audio to resync as vegas will adjust it automatically. You can even render out ot 30p if you really anted to and your sync wont get screwey.

What your wanting to do is ensure that your interpolation is set to "interpolate" as opposed to "blend"
This way, new frames are drawn in (or removed) as required.

As youre dealing with Progressive, interpolation is an iffy thing to take note of as Vegas has ALWAYS has issues with interpolating from Progressive scan sources. Vegas has never liked Progressive scan sources and I dont see that changing anytime soon.
Vegas doesnt interpolate or blend in the truest sense, it simply duplicates frames. You need to avoid this at all costs especially if you start with a lower frame rate source to delivery at a higher frame rate.. but your not doing that here...

Your 24p output might need to sit in a 60i stream with a 2:3 pulldown service which is how vegas streams the clip if its not flagged.
Bare in mind if this is for Pal delivery DONT BOTHER!!

like said if youve got 25p source, leave it..
Laurence wrote on 3/20/2010, 12:12 PM
An easy way to do this is to import your raw footage into Neo Scene or Neo HD with the "25p to 23.97p" option. Then edit and render away at 24p. You can even pitch correct the audio at the same time.
mark2929 wrote on 3/20/2010, 2:14 PM
Hmm Ichanging the films speed from 25fps to 23. 97 would simply slow the film to that speed and do nothing to the film itself. I know thats how it appears on the timeline because you have to stretch it out..

To me when the audio is stretched I can hear the 4% differnce and wondered if there was a way to keep the sound at the same speed.. I guess not..

The reason I want 24fps is to make blurays and for a digital film package.

Maybe its just easier to render the film out in AE as 23.97 and stretch the audio out in vegas just to be on the safe side..

Thanks guys

Mark
Laurence wrote on 3/20/2010, 2:25 PM
In the Cineform conversion preferences, you can select the slowdown and also check a tab that pitch transposes the pitch back up to regular pitch. Believe me, this is the easiest way to do it. Other-wise, you could go into Sound Forge and transpose the pitch back up there. Sound Forge 10 does this really well. SF 9 and earlier don't have the good pitch transpose algorithms yet.
mark2929 wrote on 3/20/2010, 3:39 PM
Thanks Laurence

Thats really good to know.

Mark
farss wrote on 3/20/2010, 5:50 PM
Vegas 9 now also has the Elastique (Speeling?) pitch shifter which is pretty good.
For vision there's a really old white paper in the knowledge base but I can never find it so here you go:

Change the ruler to Absolute Frames. Note exactly how many frames long your movie is.
Change Project and ruler to the new frame rate. Ctl+Drag the end of the movie so it is now the exact same number of frames long.

The reason I suspect SoFo recommended this method is it avoids any possibility of rounding off errors.

Oh and by the way and I haven't tried this myself but others here have, BD will work just fine with 25p content. It isn't in the spec but it works.

Bob.
mark2929 wrote on 3/21/2010, 3:14 AM
Cheers Bob

This looks very good I wondered if the Elastique (Speeling?) pitch shifter the same as sound forge 10's Zplane élastique Pro timestretch and pitch shift DirectX® plug-in? If not is sound forge's a lot better?

Excuse my ignorance BUT what is BD?

Mark
farss wrote on 3/21/2010, 3:35 AM
" same as sound forge 10's Zplane élastique Pro timestretch and pitch shift DirectX® plug-in? "

One and the same.

BD = Blueray Disk.

Bob.
mark2929 wrote on 3/21/2010, 3:55 AM
Thats brilliant.

Thanks Bob