Chromakeying in Vegas, my results.

farss wrote on 6/11/2009, 3:49 PM
Meant to post this a looong time ago.

I found something that defies common sense that might help others.
Don't use the eyedropper, use the nearest preset then adjust In/Out. With problematic keys (badly lit) this seems to work better than grabbing a sample with the eyedropper.

As always, I could be way off track here but if you're between a rock and a hard place give it a shot.

Bob.

Comments

TGS wrote on 6/11/2009, 4:03 PM
I've discovered that even when I use the eye-dropper, it's best to adjust it after, to get the best look. It will always will look a little better with fine tuning.
tumbleweed7 wrote on 6/11/2009, 4:58 PM

The eyedropper has never given me a great key right off the bat...

I've always had to fiddle with the settings.... that being said, my lighting & actual green screen usually leave much to be desired ... : )

But... when it's all said & done, I've gotten some very good keys with HDV & now AVCHD.....
ushere wrote on 6/11/2009, 5:50 PM
i've found the dropper to be a good 'basic' picker - (i always shoot an empty plate before the talent and select the whole frame) - but there's nothing like fine tuning to clean it up properly.

had pretty good results with hdv....

leslie
farss wrote on 6/11/2009, 6:12 PM
What I tried doing in order to make some sense out of this was looking at just the screen using the vectorscope. I wanted to see what the picker would detect. The vectorscope showed that a poorly lit blue screen was a bit of a fur ball on the vectorscope and assuming Vegas's CF FX was taking an average vector from that it's be off compared to pure blue.
Changing to the blue screen preset seemed to cure this problem. For sure I had tweak the in and out values to get a solid mask.

I'm not saying the traditional method doesn't work, I've had quite good results from it too. What I am saying is there's another way to use the tool and sometimes that yields better results. Unremarkably enough with the same footage using Keylight I had the same thing happen. Trying to pick a good sample was problematic, just dialing in pure blue seemed to work better in this instance.

Bob.
vectorskink wrote on 6/15/2009, 5:35 AM
I greenscreen every week, and I do what you do every time. I choose the pure green screen preset and tweak from there (I first use a little chroma blur for nice edges). Fastest and best results for me using that method.
Steve_Rhoden wrote on 6/15/2009, 7:27 AM
Vectorskink has pointed out a very important aspect when doing keying
in vegas, by using in combination with the Chroma blur..........

Another important aspect to watch out for when keying is color spill...that
isnt present in vegas, but the new newbluefx video essentials II plugin
now has a very good keyer that handles color spills.