Clipping Issue in CDA 5.0 & 5.2

drbam wrote on 4/22/2006, 3:43 PM
This is very weird: Using Vegas 6, I edited a long track from a master CD for a compilation disc. I only applied a new fade in-out to make the track the correct time. I rendered the edited version and imported to CDA to burn (I only used CDA for this particular project because I needed the cue sheet–otherwise I simply would have used Vegas to burn). In 3 places where the levels hit zero in Vegas and Sound Forge 8 (exactly as it is in the original master that I ripped it from), CDA increases the level by .1 db thereby causing clipping. This is repeatable with both CDA 5 & CDA 5.2. When I open the file in SF or Vegas, the file never clips anywhere (as it should be). Again, I'm not applying any processing in CDA, nor dither, as its already a 16 bit file from the original master. Unless the meters in CDA are inaccurate, this doesn't make any sense at all . Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Thanks,

drbam

Update: I tried building another CDA 5.2 session (everything exactly the same as before). I imported the file from explorer and this time, no clipping. I can open the previous sessions in CDA 5 and 5.2 and the clipping remains in these. I'm baffled. . .

Comments

Geoff_Wood wrote on 4/25/2006, 3:43 PM
Not sure what is going on there ( I assume there are no FX in CDA), but you should NEVER be hitting 0dB in the first place. That is enough to sent many CD players DA into never-land itself.

I always max out a -0.3dB. This practice would remove your problem, although still a curiosity.

geoff
drbam wrote on 4/26/2006, 6:42 AM
Thanks Geoff. I agree with you about zero levels and rarely push things beyond -.3 However, this particular project was mastered at an excellent mastering studio and as original producer, I attended the sessions. Peak levels were established at -.1db by the ME and all sounded fine. The CD sold a few thousand copies and I never received any feedback about the levels being too hot. And when ripped and played back in Vegas & SF, the meters showed the correct levels. Yes, quite weird.

drbam