Color Correction - Best Practices?

Andy_L wrote on 9/11/2009, 8:02 PM
As far as I can tell, Sony's Color Correction plugin is the primary tool to do white balancing/removing color casts in Vegas Pro.

But what is the best way to use it on a large number of individual clips?

It is reasonable (from a workflow/memory/cpu perspective) to apply a color correct FX to each event in a track, using custom presets to save time whenever events share the same lighting?

Is there any way to automate the process the way many consumer level editors do (ie, auto color/auto levels)?

I appreciate the power of Sony's CC tool, but I'm a little confused as to how to use it in a way that is practical.

Comments

GlennChan wrote on 9/11/2009, 8:10 PM
You can apply FX at various levels:
Media FX - apply it to the underlying media; this affects all events
event
track
video preview (dangerous)

2- ANother way of doing things is to save WB as a preset. Then drag that preset onto selected clips, e.g. select a bunch of clips and then drag presets on.
Laurence wrote on 9/11/2009, 8:18 PM
The Sony color correction tool is powerful enough, but it confuses the heck out of me. Check out this thread for another approach:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=4&MessageID=650452
albert_kes wrote on 9/12/2009, 2:58 AM
Andy_L, Apply Color Correction to a clip - allocate a clip and copy Ctrl+C then the right button of a mouse on other clip and Paste Event Attributes.

For Paste Event Attributes it is possible to appoint a hotkey

Richard Jones wrote on 9/12/2009, 3:09 AM
My first step is to use the left eye-droppers in Colour Corrector, choosing a white tone with the high end dropper, facial colours, clothing other then black with mid tone dropper and shadows, black tones with the dark one (not aways necessary to use both of these latter two). Afterwards Levels, Colour Curves if necessary.

Good Luck,

Richard
craftech wrote on 9/12/2009, 5:00 AM
Unless you are dealing with the funk of stage lighting you basically have to get the black and white corrected and the colors naturally fall into place.

John
Andy_L wrote on 9/12/2009, 7:00 AM
Okay, suppose I want to correct a clip in the project media window which is not yet on the timeline. In this way, every instance of the clip on the timeline will already be corrected when I add it.

I can see how to apply FX to the clip (click the FX icon above the project media window; dragging and dropping doesn't seem to work), but I don't see any way to preview the clip with the color correction plugin's effect visible so that I can actually correct the colors (other than add it to the workspace and then preview normally).

What am I missing?
Andy_L wrote on 9/12/2009, 7:24 AM
Laurence,

Thanks for that link. That plugin is a sweet tool! Faster better results. :)
rs170a wrote on 9/12/2009, 7:41 AM
Okay, suppose I want to correct a clip in the project media window which is not yet on the timeline. In this way, every instance of the clip on the timeline will already be corrected when I add it.

You're not missing anything.
What I do in situations like this is drag the clip to the timeline, do my corrections, save it/them as a preset, remove it from the timeline and then apply the saved preset to the clip while it's in the Project Media tab.

Mike
Grazie wrote on 9/12/2009, 8:12 AM
I have to say, after trying the 6-Pack I'm back with the SONY wheels. Kinda appreciate the graphical interface of the Wheels . .

Grazie
Stuart Robinson wrote on 9/12/2009, 3:21 PM
>Afterwards Levels...<

I've read a few tutorials lately that have levels then colour correction. What is the general convention on this? I usually have mine in that order.
Andy_L wrote on 9/14/2009, 7:21 AM
This wasn't obvious to me given Vegas' help info, so I'll post it.

Yes, it looks like you have to drag a clip from the Project Media window to the timeline before you can preview any effects you add to it.

So, drag the clip onto the timeline, make sure its visible in the preview window, and then (the important part) don't add fx to either the track or the event on the timeline. Instead, go back to the Project Media window, select the original clip, click the fx icon above the PM window, and add/preview your fx from here.

Now, whatever you do to the clip updates automatically to all instances of the clip on the timeline--no need to create presets. Delete the FX from the clip in the PM window, and the fx is removed from all instances of the corresponding event(s) on the timeline.

That was the behavior I wanted. Just didn't know how to make it happen. Thanks for the help getting there!
Richard Jones wrote on 9/15/2009, 3:34 AM
Stuart,

The order I suggested was because we were looking for ways to correct white balance. Unless this is needed I tend to start with Levels and/or Colour Curves and then look to see what else might be of help (e.g. Secondary CC) but I don't think you can have a hard and fast rule about the order as it all depends on what you are starting with. It's a judgement call often based on experience and practice but, even so, you may find yourself arriving at your final judgement through a process of trial and error.

Richard
Stuart Robinson wrote on 9/15/2009, 3:12 PM
Richard, thank you for your reply, and given that all the controls impact one another, the "correct", or should we say "most appropriate" order could well differ according to the end result.

For example, I found that adding a sharpening filter (oddly enough, even with the value at 0) pushes previously set legal video levels outside of that range, so unless a broadcast filter is applied the levels control always has to be after sharpening. Conversely, without sharpening I always put levels first.
fausseplanete wrote on 9/15/2009, 9:03 PM
A great tip I now follow: Add B&W filter first. Then, in monochrome, concentrate on getting the levels as wanted. Then disable the B&W filter. Then do color correction.

If broadcast levels are an issue I would fix that after this chain, e.g. by Broadcast Levels FX. For that reason I usually apply it as a "Video Output FX" (the one just above the Preview window). To "help it along", underpin all with a solid black track (reason explained at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?Forum=4&MessageID=586766).
TeetimeNC wrote on 9/16/2009, 4:55 AM
Andy, alternatively you can open the clip in the trimmer, and if you wish, have the trimmer set to preview in the Preview window. By using the trimmer you eliminate the extra step of removing the clip from the timeline.

Jerry

So, drag the clip onto the timeline, make sure its visible in the preview window, and then (the important part) don't add fx to either the track or the event on the timeline. Instead, go back to the Project Media window, select the original clip, click the fx icon above the PM window, and add/preview your fx from here.
DJPadre wrote on 9/16/2009, 6:40 AM
Im sorry to have to say this, but the Vegas CC tools need a rehaul.
Opinions aside, i have found that NewBlue colour fixer plus is probably the best colour correction tool for Vegas, for the simple fact that I have now edited at least 6 weddings, using 2x DVX100's and 2x Canon A1's using an intense custom preset which when put side by side one would believe there is NO WAY they could ever match.

Lo and behold they did. I had to desaturate the DVX stuff to match, but at least I got the colour right

Oldies will attest that Iev been workign with colour matching issues for a very long time now and this is the only solution I have found which is quick and easy to use