Compositing Ghosts!

Richard Jones wrote on 10/23/2013, 7:57 AM
I've just completed a 40 minute project and found that four of the events on the timeline carried a ghosted image of other events which showed through as though composited.at something like 50:50.

Deleting the spoilt images and recapturing them from the trimmer solved the problem and the ghosting disappeared. Experimenting a little, I found that if I deleted the FX on the principal event, the overlay of the other event disappeared. It seemed almost as though the FX had a pre-set of the other event built into it!

Although it looks as though I have overcome the problem in this particular project I am anxious to avoid it happening again. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have caused it?

Thank you.

Richard

Comments

farss wrote on 10/23/2013, 8:09 AM
Very hard to say from the very limited amount of information available however things that could have tripped you up that fit the symptoms would include event and track transparency .

Bob.
Richard Jones wrote on 10/23/2013, 9:09 AM
Thanks Bob. I thought of that and checked. When I moved the flawed event up to another track there was nothing beneath it!

Richard
farss wrote on 10/23/2013, 2:26 PM
Richard Jones said: [I]"When I moved the flawed event up to another track there was nothing beneath it!"[/I]

I'm not clear on what that proves.
Every video event has its own transparency envelope. They're kind of hard to see and easy to bump to less than 100%. If you'd bumped one down to say 98% you'll certainly see ghosts from anything on a track below no matter how far below. Replacing the event would clear this.

Bob.
Richard Jones wrote on 10/24/2013, 5:17 AM
Thanks again Bob but isn't it the case that for a double image to be seen at the same point in the Timeline there must be two events in place at that point (i.e. either on a separate track immediately above or below or even on top of one another on the same track)? In any case I don't see any sign of the transparency envelope having been brought into play.

What is far from clear is why deleting the FX (in this case it was the Unsharp Mask) should allow the event to play properly without the double image interference.

Curious isn't it?

Richard.
farss wrote on 10/24/2013, 6:19 AM
[I]"
Thanks again Bob but isn't it the case that for a double image to be seen at the same point in the Timeline there must be two events in place at that point (i.e. either on a separate track immediately above or below or even on top of one another on the same track)?"[/I]

Not quite, an image can be at 90% on track one and you could see something from track 100. Still I doubt that's what's happened here in which case I'm out of ideas unless the image on the upper track had some alpha channel, that [I]might[/I] interact in some strange way with the Unsharpen Mask.

Bob.

OldSmoke wrote on 10/24/2013, 8:40 AM
@ Richard

Can you take a snapshot of what you are seeing and post it here? You could do it from the preview window.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

Richard Jones wrote on 10/24/2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the offer but I deleted the troublesome events when I replaced them!

Richard