Connect HD and Vegas 5.0

DCV wrote on 9/30/2004, 12:11 PM
The Sony Fall catalog landed in my mailbox yesterday. Perusing through it I noticed they showcased Connect HD as the means for getting HDV into Vegas 5.0. Looking over at Cineform today I spotted some more info for all interested:

http://www.cineform.com/products/ConnectHD.htm

Ouch, $499 is kinda steep. Is there any other way?

John

Comments

Spot|DSE wrote on 9/30/2004, 2:54 PM
Yeah, you can cut the mpgs directly, but then you have no display externally, and worse, it's slower than tar.
JJKizak wrote on 9/30/2004, 5:05 PM
Remember that Connect HD only works on 19.4-19.7mpeg2 data streams on capture and then converts to avi to edit on the timeline, then you have to render back out to the same data stream and then PTT to D-VHS or MINI-HDV tape. It also will not convert copyright protected stuff. But it does work well. You can also render out to the Cineform spec in vegas then change the file ending from mpg to tp and play it on your HDTV through the MY-HD video card and you don't need the Connect HD codec for that. That also works slicker than camel snot on a doorknob.

JJK
vitamin_D wrote on 9/30/2004, 9:16 PM
Didn't SonyEPM (or was it Dr Dropout) already mention a forthcoming Vegas update that would edit HDV natively when introducing the Sony HDV footage?
Spot|DSE wrote on 9/30/2004, 9:26 PM
Sony announced it at IBC