Controlling teh Time Line View

Kit wrote on 10/22/2009, 3:33 PM
Does anyone have any tips for how to quickly zoom out on the Timeline using Vegas 8. I thought View Window Layouts might do the trick but it doesn't seem to remember the Timeline view. I'm after pressing one key to get to a certain zoom level. I know about double clicking the magnifier in the bottom right hand corner to zoom out as far as possible but that zooms out too far. Thanks,

Kit

Comments

Editguy43 wrote on 10/22/2009, 5:18 PM
If you have a wheel on you r mouse roll it, it will zoom your timeline in and out. the faster you roll the wheel th faster the timeline will zoom.
also if you find your cursor at the edge of the timeline just hit the \ key and it will center it in the timeline.

Hope that helps. (one thing that seems to be a problem with some microsoft mice and Vista 64 and Windows 7 64 is the wheel zoom is messed up and you have to zing it realy fast to get it to move) hope you do not encounter the problem.

PaulB
rmack350 wrote on 10/22/2009, 6:15 PM
This was a nice feature in Media100 (when I was doing tutorials 7 years ago). The way it worked was that you could set two magnification levels for the timeline and then toggle between them with a keystroke. The good thing about this is that you keep consistent views of the timeline and always have a good sense of how much time you're looking at. and you could always change the view to any other zoom level.

Rob Mack

Chienworks wrote on 10/22/2009, 6:58 PM
I use the up & down arrows. 6 presses takes me from close in to medium, another 6 to overall view. 6 back to medium, 6 more back to close in. I get so that i don't even consciously count anymore.
erikd wrote on 10/22/2009, 9:18 PM
If you use Ctl+up or down arrow you will get the desired effect. Ctl+up arrow zooms in on the cursor point on the timeline and Ctl+down arrow zooms all the way out on the timeline.

Erik
Kit wrote on 10/26/2009, 5:02 PM
Thanks Erik, that makes zooming easier.

Kit
Kit wrote on 10/26/2009, 5:04 PM
That sounds exactly like the feature I'm wanting. Do you think it would it be possible to do this using scripting and Vegas? Thanks,

Kit
erikd wrote on 10/26/2009, 10:52 PM
Kit,

I don't think I understand what you are needing. Why do you need a script to zoom in on the timeline for example? Won't Ctl>up arrow suffice?

Erik
rmack350 wrote on 10/26/2009, 11:02 PM
If you've got a 10 minute program then zooming all the way out might not be too helpful.

Suppose you wanted to toggle your zoom level between a 1 frame/tick and a 30 frame/tick view. How would you do that?

The truth is that this doesn't get asked for much (here, anyway) and Vegas gives you enough feedback when you move things on the timeline. You can train yourself to watch the numbers to get a sense of what you're doing.

Rob Mack
Kit wrote on 10/27/2009, 8:13 AM
Funny you should say that - my current video is not much more than 10 minutes! I think it would be useful if one could set a zoom level with a marker so that when moving to a marker Vegas automatically adjusted the view at the same time. I'm still getting used to using Vegas but I like keyboard shutcuts I can do with one hand. So I guess I'll have to practise ctrl + arrow keys with my right hand. Cheers,

Kit