Crash when I hit Make DVD button

fildo5000 wrote on 11/30/2009, 5:49 PM
DVD architect Pro and Studio both crash when I hit the "Make DVD" button. I am Running Windows 7 64bit. I had great luck burning about three DVDs before I started getting this problem. I have tried reinstalling and disabling other programs that might be conflicting. I still get nothing when I click "Make DVD" and then the program hangs.

Comments

cbrillow wrote on 11/30/2009, 6:54 PM
After years of using DVD Architect without problem, starting with vers 2 and now up to vers 5, I encountered the same difficulty last week. (running 32-bit Windows XP) The program doesn't crash, per se, it hangs as soon as I hit the Make DVD button.

Like you, I looked for potential conflicts with other apps, ran the system file checker, a couple of restore points to dates before the problem showed up, etc. I even uninstalled & reinstalled DVD-A.

Something I learned from my work in electronics popped into my head: When a problem occurs suddenly, go back and check out the last thing that was done, no matter how unrelated to the problem it may seem. This doesn't always point to the solution, but you'll be surprised at how often it does.

A week ago, I received a very cheap mp3 player that connects via USB. It was plugged in to charge the internal battery. As unlikely as it seems, disconnecting it from the USB port restored the Make DVD functionality to DVD Architect.

I know, it sounds crazy. But when I read your post, I plugged it back in and cranked up DVD-A, pressed Make DVD, and it hung. I tried to remove the USB device "safely", but got a message saying that a program was still accessing it. (DVD-A???) So I simply unplugged it from the USB port and DVD-A unfroze, presenting me with the Make DVD dialog box.

Obviously, I can't say that this is the same problem you're experiencing, but you might have to think 'out of the box' to find your solution.

MPM wrote on 12/3/2009, 12:38 PM
>"...pressed Make DVD, and it hung. ...So I simply unplugged it from the USB port
>and DVD-A unfroze,..."

Prob'ly looking for burning hardware &/or potential storage space (drives), & couldn't figure out what the mp3 player was -- many show up as storage, but the internal electronics vary & even with USB sticks mileage varies considerably.
Randini wrote on 4/18/2010, 10:17 PM
I have the same problem and I'm running Windows 7 64bit. So is there a solution? This really needs to be solved for I have a client coming over in need of the DVD.
Melachrino wrote on 7/11/2010, 9:34 AM
This problem has been referred to Sony Support , they have acknowledged it and is in line for its developers to find a fix, someday ...

Meantime, in my case I discovered that the built in Blueray burner was conflicting with DVDA. Disabling it ( not uninstalling it) fixed the problem. BUT ....

DVDA scans the hardware for burners and other devices and it hangs. One possible improvement is to go in Options and enable " Do not scan hardware".

Now my system works, I can prepare to a folder or burn.

This next behaviour I am not sure if it is Windows 7 x64 or DVDA5.0b but when pressing Make DVD it will hang for a moment, the action bar will report " Not Responding" and then it will clear and work fine. No crash like before.

Since there is no fix from Sony yet, I guess I should be happy that at least it works somehow ...

Steven Howe wrote on 7/26/2010, 9:14 PM
I am having the same crash on "Make DVD" problem. I find that if I start a second instance of the program, it works fine. But the original instance is very hard to get out of. Usually requires a hard reset.
Melachrino wrote on 7/27/2010, 2:19 PM
"am having the same crash on "Make DVD" problem. I find that if I start a second instance of the program, it works fine. But the original instance is very hard to get out of. Usually requires a hard reset."

True and unpredictable. Perhaps you should try disabling your burners and players, which is non destructive, and use the Prepare option provided Make DVD now does not crash. If it hangs, just be patient and wait. It will come out of slumber and work properly, hopefully. Seems to work for many others.
John Boy wrote on 12/19/2014, 5:36 AM
I cannot thank you enough.
I have been seaching for a solution to this prblem for days. I joined this forum to find the answer but I could not find your post (found it on a goole search in the end) I disabled my blue ray cd rom in device manager an low and behold the program now works. This is very badly written software for this to happen. Once again many thanks