Create HD file for Macbook Pro

Glenn_G wrote on 5/30/2013, 10:08 AM
I need to demo a 20 minute video (created in Vegas 12) on a macbook pro connected to a large HD television. I have created a HD (1920x1080 60i mxf) of this video.

What file format can/should I convert this to to play this video. I'm looking for something I can create in Vegas 12 (with the supplied codecs) and play without fiddling with the Mac.

Thanks

Comments

rmack350 wrote on 5/30/2013, 10:17 AM
I'd start with a few 30 second test renders in either mp4 or an h.264 quicktime file. Either *should* work but make sure to do a short test and then test the entire rendered program on the MacBook.

Rob
HyperMedia wrote on 5/30/2013, 10:40 AM
Render it to Avid DNxHD codec. So you can play it on Macbook side. I'd edit on a iMac using BootCamp. Render to Avid codec for TV Stations.
Glenn_G wrote on 5/30/2013, 11:04 AM
Thank You!!

But

Can I render to Avid DNxHD on Vegas Pro - if so how.

I have the same question re Quicktime h.264 - is that built into the out of the box Vegas 12 install.

Unfortunatly, I won't have access to a macbook or any mac until the demo so I have to have to prepare the file ahead of time. I was hoping there was a simple/common method to do this.
rmack350 wrote on 5/30/2013, 2:01 PM
I think you'd have to install the DNxHD on both your PC and also the Mac, which was why I didn't recommend it.

It's really best to test before presenting things. Most likely both the mp4 and the quicktime file would work on the mac (internally they're both h.264). I'd bring both, and maybe there's another generic quicktime file you could bring too, just in case. Like Motion JPEG, maybe?

Vegas comes with the codecs to create all three of these as long as you've installed Quicktime, but you might also try making the encodes in handbrake using one of its default templates.

Rob
robwood wrote on 5/30/2013, 2:49 PM
render to QuickTime, and try PhotoJPEG codec for visually lossless (use 100% quality).

if you need pixel-accurate quality, use the PNG codec, however
1) the render will take w-a-y longer,
2) the file will be 2-3 times larger,
3) the Mac will need to be more powerful or the file will stutter/choke on playback.

MotionJPEG is good if you need to preserve interlacing.
musicvid10 wrote on 5/30/2013, 8:54 PM
"

This isn't as complicated as it seems.
An MP4 rendered in Vegas using Mainconcept AVC should play just fine on the Mac. So will an MP4 rendered in Handbrake.

You can rename the extension to MOV after rendering, but that is not necessary.

No need to hand off an intermediate to the Mac, nor to do the final render there.
As always, test first!
rmack350 wrote on 5/30/2013, 9:24 PM
Right. PhotoJPEG was what I had in mind. Any of the three ought to work.

Rob