Comments

farss wrote on 9/12/2007, 7:47 PM
Thank you Edward!

So now we know the secret, Beware The Blue Squares.

Bob.
xberk wrote on 9/12/2007, 7:52 PM
Thanks for this link!
Good review which helped me understand the new Custom Command scripting option in VP8. The new scripting sounds like it the kind of thing that makes keeping up with what others are doing with Vegas so important. The users can help modify the program (mostly by automating repetive tasks) and hopefully improve it.

Paul B .. PCI Express Video Card: EVGA VCX 10G-P5-3885-KL GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA ,,  Intel Core i9-11900K Desktop Processor ,,  MSI Z590-A PRO Desktop Motherboard LGA-1200 ,, 64GB (2X32GB) XPG GAMMIX D45 DDR4 3200MHz 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-25600 Memory .. Seasonic Power Supply SSR-1000FX Focus Plus 1000W ,, Arctic Liquid Freezer II – 360MM .. Fractal Design case ,, Samsung Solid State Drive MZ-V8P1T0B/AM 980 PRO 1TB PCI Express 4 NVMe M.2 ,, Wundiws 10 .. Vegas Pro 19 Edit

jrazz wrote on 9/12/2007, 7:52 PM
That does help a lot. I would have never known they were not 32-bit capable. Thanks Ed.

j razz
farss wrote on 9/12/2007, 7:58 PM
That some FXs were not 32bit compatible has been mentioned many times. The really new bit of news that's never been mentioned is that SCS have flagged them as such.
Don't know though if this works for 3rd party FXs.

Bob.
John_Cline wrote on 9/12/2007, 8:02 PM
Yes, it does, Magic Bullet and NeatVideo, as well as some other third-party filters, have a blue box next to them.
farss wrote on 9/12/2007, 8:09 PM
Excellent,
that could well save a lot of confusion and the odd dummy spit here.
Possibly something in the dll is read to determine this.
Ah, might be the same as the way the audio plugs are identified with different icons.
Grazie wrote on 9/12/2007, 11:04 PM
odd dummy spit here

Bob? What is that?

Grazie
ScorpioProd wrote on 9/12/2007, 11:29 PM
Nice review Ed. :)

I know that the Blu-Ray from timeline doesn't support authoring, but does it at least support markers to chapter points?
farss wrote on 9/13/2007, 12:46 AM
What does a baby do when it's thowing a tantrum?

It spits it's dummy out.

This might help you understand us colonials better:

http://www.australianexplorer.com/slang/behaviour.htm
Jonathan Neal wrote on 9/13/2007, 12:49 AM
I don't mean to be a grammar policeman, but I had a lot of difficulty reading that review. Here's a transcript for those not interested in opening a PDF.

Vegas Pro 8 - What’s New!
By Edward Troxel

Vegas Pro 8 has arrived with a variety of new features many people have been waiting on for years. With this version, Microsoft Vista is now fully supported as well as XP SP2. Windows versions below XP SP2 are no longer supported. .NET 3.0 is also required.

In addition to Vista support, Vegas Pro 8 (VP8) now supports 32-bit, floating point video processing. The floating-point video processing option allows Vegas to work with video format, such as 10-bit SDI, with more precision and range that the 8-bit video engine allowed. Also, it will allow the video engine to do its compositing and other work in a “liner light” color space instead of the video gamma space. Even projects with 8-bit sources and 8-bit rendering targets will get higher quality output with floating-point processing since there will be no loss during color conversions, effects, transitions, and compositing. Video FX and transitions with blue squares next to them are not floating-point capable so Vegas will reduce the image to 8-bit before using these plug-ins.

Vegas Pro 8 has another enhancement many have waited since version 2.0 to see: the new Protype Titler! This new titling engine allows you to create titles unlike anything Vegas has seen before. Each aspect of the title can be fine-tuned and changed over time. Plus titles can now follow a drawn path.

There are many titling presets available. With just a few tweaks, these presets can be molded into very personalized titles. Plus, it should be possible to share new presets across the Vegas community. While not as easy to use as the old titler, there is a great amount of power in the new ProType Titler.

Multi-cam editing can also now be done natively in Vegas with no add-ons required. Given that it now has built-in multi-cam, the number one question has to be: What about Ultimate S/Excalibur? Are they now obsolete?

The short answer to that question is NO. They can still be used for multi-cam and the many other functions they provide. In fact, the scripts provide MORE features than the built-in multi-cam. I certainly would not call the scripts obsolete in anyway and each method has definite advantages.

Like the scripts, the built-in multi-cam tools requires a few steps. First, Vegas includes a couple of syncing aids but, for many users, it may still be easier to just sync manually.

Once everything is fully synced, you must select all of the tracks and then choose Tools - Multicamera - Create Multicamera Track. At this point, all of the selected tracks will be condensed into a single video and audio track pair using the "Takes” functionality as shown in this image.

Now you can easily turn on/off multi-cam editing mode to pick which camera angle to use. You can change modes via the menu going to Tools - Multicamera - Enable Multicamera Editing or simply by pressing CTRL-SHIFT-D. Once enabled, you can now either press the number keys to switch between camera angles or simply click on the proper angle in the preview screen.

As the various camera changes are chosen, you’ll notice that the proper “take” becomes the active take. Each camera change will automatically be a cut unless you hold down the CTRL key - then it will be a dissolve. The length of the dissolve is determined by the preferences “Cut to Overlap” amount on the Editing tab.

Once done creating the switches, turn off “editing mode” by pressing CTRL-SHIFT-D once again. Now you will see the final version. You can easily switch back and forth into and out of editing mode as well as use the standard editing tools in Vegas to fine-tune the final edit.

The main advantage of the new built-in multicam tool is that you can click directly on the preview screen, unlike when using the scripts. However, the scripts provide more flexibility in setting dissolve times, being able to set specific transitions, and they leave the original separate tracks of each angle available for other usages. I do believe the new multi-cam tool is well implemented.

If you’re working with HDV, you’ll find another new feature most welcome: Smart Rendering support! Now unchanged sections will simply be copied, as with DV, instead of every frame being recompressed. When finished, you can also now burn to Blu-Ray discs. This would create and HD disc with no menus similar to the “Single Movie” option in DVD Architect.

VP8 introduces the concept of portrait-style video editing making it easier to create content for portrait displays. To work, when shooting you need to rotate the camera 90°. In Vegas, you need to set the project properties to use the output rotation you’ll use on your display.

As you add the rotated footage to your project, you have a couple of options: Rotate all the footage to match in the Project Media or individually rotate each event using the Properties settings on the timeline. Now you can edit normally using the rotated footage and preview everything correctly.

Once done editing, you need to output the results. When choosing to render, preview, print to tape, or other output options, choose the “Use Project Output Rotation Setting” checkbox.

Scripting has also taken another leap forward. Now a special kind of script, called a “Custom Command” can be used to extend Vegas’ functionality. Custom Commands can be written so that they actually create a window that can be docked along with the rest of the VP8 windows, undocked, and moved around as desired. In this image is an example of a Custom Command that is docked with the standard Vegas windows.

Scripts are now stored in a new location as well. Instead of placing new scripts into the “Script Menu” folder, it is now preferred that you use the new locations. There are actually several acceptable locations. A simple one to remember for Custom Commands is: {My Documents}\Vegas Application Extensions\ A simple location for standard/older scripts is: {My Documents}\Vegas Script Menu

Custom Commands can be one of three categories: Edit, View, and Tools. These different types are accessed under the new Extensions menu option under the Edit, View, and Tools menus and only the “View” type can create dockable windows.

The previous scripts will also work fine in VP8 with the exception that any scripts compiled to a .dll file will probably need to be recompiled. There were also some other changes to the scripting API that should also be updated in any older scripts. This is especially true for any script manipulating Markers.

For scripts that must be updated, you’ll need to download a newer version. This includes scripts such as Ultimate S and Excalibur. Check with the author of any script that does not work in VP8. A VP8 version of Excalibur can be found at: http://www.jetdv.com/excalibur

For additional scripting questions and information, please ask at my website (www.jetdv.com). Another excellent source of scripting information is Sony’s official scripting forum at: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowTopics.asp?ForumID=21

On the audio side, there is a new Mixing Console window. This does not replace the current mixer. Instead it is a hardware-style view.

Each tracks information is shown vertically and the various FX assigned to the track are easily accessible. It is very simply to add new effects and adjust existing effects very quickly on this screen. Plus, the audio sliders work just like a soundboard..

You can also easily adjust how much signal goes to any particular Bus and can route signal to more than one Bus. This will give you much more power in routing abilities. Notice the different adjustments going to each Bus in the two images below. In fact, you can even route Busses to another Bus. The new Mixing Console window definitely expands the routing options.

Have you ever wanted to do something in Vegas and just wasn’t sure how it was done? VP8 adds a new set of tutorial videos that explain many aspects of using Vegas.

These tutorials are fully interactive and let you perform tasks on the events on the timeline as each step is explained. These are NOT video tutorials but do explain the process while you actually perform the steps.

The Media Manager is also fully updated for Vista compatibility. Based on the Microsoft SQL 2005 Express Edition, the new version works equally well in both XP and Vista.

VP8 will also ship with DVD Architect version 4.5. This update mainly adds Vista compatibility to DVD Architect. Version 4.5 will also include several bug fixes as well as some increased driver support. While Blu-Ray support hasn’t been added to DVD Architect, Vegas can create those discs now directly from the timeline.

Vegas Pro 8 has a lot of new features that many people will enjoy. The new titler is a breath of fresh air. The new scripting tools give a lot more power to people who write scripts. The multi-cam tools will aid those who didn’t already have one of the script (although the scripts still have more features.) Smart rendering of M2T files will speed up rendering. Give Vegas Pro 8 a test run and I think you’ll like what you see in the new version.

GlennChan wrote on 9/13/2007, 12:55 AM
This might help you understand us colonials better:
Bob, I guess you would never root for the other team. As us Canadians would say.
Grazie wrote on 9/13/2007, 1:11 AM
Nice one Edward!!

Strange, I understood all that which was wrote? Me don't understand which is the problem Jonathan? It is likely most that is what I wrote like anyways? Do you think similar Jonathan?

Grazie
apit34356 wrote on 9/13/2007, 2:27 AM
Thanks Edward, the blue square hint was worth the read! I was wondering if Vegas8 was calling those FX's "too gay" with those little blue squares.
SimonW wrote on 9/13/2007, 2:58 AM
Magic Bullet is an odd one as it works internally in 32-bits.
apit34356 wrote on 9/13/2007, 6:10 AM
Woooo DSE/Spot back on the Creative Cow forums, that is more good news for the vegas forums.
TLF wrote on 9/13/2007, 6:12 AM
So what are are the yellow squares?
Bill Ravens wrote on 9/13/2007, 6:21 AM
why do I even bother turning on the TV? I have this forum to entertain me.
and, it's educational.
Dan Sherman wrote on 9/13/2007, 6:38 AM
Lawd above! A David Hockney mockin' da Baked Bean'Debby Laboosh EngliDebby Laboosh? Grazie! Shame!, innit.

jetdv wrote on 9/13/2007, 6:53 AM
Jonathan, I have never claimed to be an english major but do believe I can write decent sentences. While I usually have my wife proof the issues, I hurried this one a little bit to "get it out there" so she did not proof this one. If you would like to e-mail me any specific issues you have with the article, I'll gladly read them.

(BTW, the article means MUCH more when you see the corresponding images)

As for the "yellow" squares, if memory serves, that indicates they are NOT multi-threaded.

Dan Sherman wrote on 9/13/2007, 7:18 AM
Thanks for taking the time to write the review Edward.
The vast majority who read the article were I'm sure able to comprehend it.
Jonathan and our English friend excepted.
Your contributions to this forum and others are appreciated.
I for one don't appreciate the stone throwing and feel an apology is in order.
Grazie wrote on 9/13/2007, 8:17 AM
English friend excepted

Sherman, who be he then? - or is that "whom be he .. "?

Grazie
Jonathan Neal wrote on 9/13/2007, 8:27 AM
Hey, I was just pointing out that I thought it needed a revision, not as a complaint, but as a suggestion to Ed. It's not stone throwing, come on.

I'm sorry Ed if it came across that way. I could try to blame the internet and the lack of emphasis in ascii, but I do apologize nevertheless.
farss wrote on 9/13/2007, 8:43 AM
Just a small point if I may and no I'm not trying to be a dork.

Copying verbatim other pages from another site isn't really a good thing to be doing. Quoting attributed extracts is OK but not whole articles. If people can't be bothered to follow a link or two or don't like opening a PDF, their decision, their loss. The person who wrote whatever made a decision about how to publish it, if no one reads it because of that decision, his bad call but it's his to make.

Bob.
RBartlett wrote on 9/13/2007, 9:09 AM
I agree. Perhaps it is fair to say that the copy/paste is somewhat an infringement of intentions of the original effort. I did nevertheless find the single block of text easier to read through. I love the newspaper style, especially when printed. I personally found this format hard to read on lower resolution laptop displays and find myself navigating down and back up the page with the PDF viewer (in the format in which my reader opened the document). If Acrobat Professional is being used to craft these newsletters, perhaps it would be possible to have the documents open in a way where the full width is seen by default? Overriding the users' preferred reader settings as necessary. None if this is a problem if you bother to click the right view mode and have a suitable screen resolution available on your PC. I couldn't wait to read the whole article and anything that wasn't quite on the mark was easily decipherable. Great article, as always.

This is also a good thread as the blue and yellow 'flags' legend is going to help with my knowledge of Vegas as a medium skilled operator. Thanks Edward.

Edward continues to show how valuable he is to both us the users and definitely to Sony Creative Software ( who tend to be more silent in the forums in recent years and can really do with some devoted speakers at times ).