Credit Roll: Fonts and sizes

JackW wrote on 11/19/2003, 11:14 PM
Need some help, please. From what I've been able to figure out through trial and error, the Credit Roll utility will only allow you to use two fonts in a roll, with a single type size assigned to each font. Also, there doesn't seem to be any leading function.

I've set up the Roll with a name centered on each line. I'd like to be able to use something like Tahoma 48 point for the header, 24 point Times Roman for the character name (in a play), and 36 point Comic Sans for the actor's name directly below the character name. I'd also like to be able to vary the leading between each character/name combination, and between groups of characters.

Is there any way to do this in Vegas? Is there any other (preferably inexpensive) software that will let me do this in Vegas? We do a lot of theatrical work, and not being able to manipulate the Credit Roll leaves us in quite a bind.

Thanks in advance.

Jack

Comments

jaegersing wrote on 11/20/2003, 12:16 AM
Hi Jack. I hope you can get some good advice on this one, as I am also very interested in credit rolls.

Every time I have tried to use a credit roll, I always ended up by giving up on it and switching to normal text events instead. These are much more flexible in their text properties, although manually moving them (actually using Track Motion) to create the roll is a bit of a pain.

I wonder if the latest Boris Grafitti can do this? I believe it now plugs into Vegas, but haven't tried it out yet.

Richard Hunter
TorS wrote on 11/20/2003, 12:28 AM
I don't use scrolling titles much, but I've found that you can:
- Set up some styles and save as presets.
- For greater variety in styles, use scrolling titles on two or more tracks. Use empty lines to compensate for the text items on other tracks. This will take some getting used to, because if you don't get the lines right, the two rolls won't scroll at the same tempo. (That could be nice, too, but for different reasons.)

But as a general advise, KISS! Titles are meant for reading. Styles and graphics are used to improve the reading experience.
Tor
TorS wrote on 11/20/2003, 1:12 AM
JRW
Try this:
Set up you credits and style them in Word. Copy them to your clipboard and paste them in the magnificent Vegas text generator. You will see that the styles and sizes are perfectly maintained. If the credits are very long you must split them into several events. Experience will tell you how to do this most efficiently. Use pan/crop to scroll.
TIP: If you are showing text over live video, use shadow or a semidark background to enhance readability.
Tor

PS
I just tried this today, because I've have not had Word and Vegas on the same machine for more than a few weeks.
Jay Gladwell wrote on 11/20/2003, 4:34 AM
You can use any font and any point size you wish. You're only limited by what fonts you have on your computer.

Roman-style fonts do not do was well as gothic fonts. The thin parts of the Roman-style fonts get lost when dropped below a certain size.
farss wrote on 11/20/2003, 5:25 AM
I really cannot see a way for VV to do credit rolls correctly. The Vv paradigm is doing something within an event. This is fine for most things but not for credit rolls.

Rolling text shoud be specified in lines (as in scan lines) per frame. If you cannot do this you cannot avoid nasties on the leading edge of your text. No doubt if I invested a lot of time with a calculator I could work out how to make VV roll text at a correct rate But then if I add one more line of text it doesn't change the event length it changes the scroll rate. Hardly a natural result.

This doesn't faze me much, I'm the only one I ever give credit to except the rest of VV is pretty professional but the credit roll just seems like something they threw together one wet Sunday afternoon. I'd reckon they'd be better off having left it out and if you needed a credit roll you bought a package specifically for the purpose.

Just my two bobs worth.
Jay Gladwell wrote on 11/20/2003, 6:05 AM
Farss, I understand what you're saying, but I can't entirely agree with it.

Someone else, I think it was Spot (but I may be wrong), gave a simple formula for obtaining the proper rate of scrolling to prevent the "nasties," I just love technical terms. ;o)

I've used the Credit Roll on a number of projects and, so far, not had any problems. Then again, I give the audience enough time to read the credits, unlike some I've seen on television. They roll up so fast that it is a physical impossibility for anyone, short of Data, to read them.

I'll do a search and see if I can find that formula I mentioned.

EDIT:
I stand corrected. Farss, it was you! There was no forumula, however. My mistake!
craftech wrote on 11/20/2003, 6:17 AM
I think he is talking about the limitation of one font for each of the three types of lines. If you want to vary them, you can't. Change one subtitle and they all change. There haven't been any improvements in the credit roll event in the last three versions of Vegas despite the number of complaints I have seen posted here. There isn't much information in the manual regarding it's use either. To learn Vegas credit rolls and it's unintuitive quirks one has to search or post here (which I for one am thankfull to have as a resource).

In terms of the discussion above regarding getting the credit rolls to roll at a readable rate, here is the unintuitive way I use:

1. Place credit roll at end of video

2. Type in all the information

3. Edit generated media: Change the time length to the desired amount (may involve trial and error)

4. Go back to timeline and place the cursor back from the end of the timeline a distance equal to the desired length of the credit roll. I did it by typing in the cursor position (in the little box under the timeline toward the right) so it was exact.

5. MOVE the Credit Roll Left to the cursor position WITHOUT resizing it.

6. Send the cursor to the end of the video by clicking Go To END (CTRL+END).

7. Stretch the end of the credit roll to the Right up to the cursor WITHOUT holding down the CTRL key.

8. If the speed is too fast go back and do it all over again from step 3 above.

John
JJKizak wrote on 11/20/2003, 6:29 AM
The web site www.adamwilt.com explains credit roll technicalities (above my head) and why sometimes the fonts are a little grainy or pixelated. This is the one thing about Vegas I did not like as it is not in the intuitive, easy to learn and operate style of Vegas. Adobe premier had a lot better credit roll operation.

JJK
jeremyk wrote on 11/20/2003, 12:24 PM
My efforts to use Credit Roll were stymied by not being able to paste text into it from another document (I usually get the credits from the person who makes the theatrical program). Is there a way to do this?
jetdv wrote on 11/20/2003, 12:31 PM
Yes, you can paste into a credit roll. Just use CTRL-V.
jeremyk wrote on 11/20/2003, 12:38 PM
Jetdv, your comment gave me the will to experiment. Turns out a text line with a tab between the left and right items is what I needed to get the two column thing working.

Thanks!
jetdv wrote on 11/20/2003, 12:44 PM
Yes, you can use word or notepad or any other text editor to enter your text. If you do not use a tab, it will use the single entry on one line version. If you use a tab, it will do the two entries on one line version. Also, remember there are THREE different types of entries - two of them are the single entry per line.
Jsnkc wrote on 11/20/2003, 12:55 PM
The easiest way is to just lay yout your credits on a really long page in photoshop, then just import it into vegas and scoll down it using keyframes. That way you can get it to look exactly as you want .
craftech wrote on 11/20/2003, 3:48 PM
The easiest way is to just lay yout your credits on a really long page in photoshop, then just import it into vegas and scoll down it using keyframes. That way you can get it to look exactly as you want .

=========================

Shouldn't be necessary to go through all that. Wouldn't you agree?

John
Jsnkc wrote on 11/20/2003, 4:43 PM
If you wanna do this:
I'd like to be able to use something like Tahoma 48 point for the header, 24 point Times Roman for the character name (in a play), and 36 point Comic Sans for the actor's name directly below the character name. I'd also like to be able to vary the leading between each character/name combination, and between groups of characters.

Yes, it is pretty much neccesary to do it in something other than Vegas.

Just tried the cut and paste from Word, Didn't work at all, all the text was the same size, the same font, and the same color even though they were all diffrent in the text file I cut and pasted them from.
TorS wrote on 11/21/2003, 12:50 AM
You have to read carefully. I pasted from Word to the text generator. Everything stayed the same (well, not colour). Jetdv said you could paste in the scroller, and yes you can. But the style won't transfer. No one said you can do that.
The difference between working from something like Word and something like Photoshop is that from Word you go to the text editor and can do corrections and alterations there. From Photoshop you have to go back and create a new file if you want to change anything. Which is still pretty simple. The thing is - none of these good solutions use the scroller.
Tor