Digital photo imaging software

caveman wrote on 4/18/2003, 3:47 PM
I am looking for a good stable photo imaging software. I have several pictures that are over 100 years old, with tears and holes in them. I would like to clean these up before puting them into V4. I also have a picture of a large staind glass window with a balconey through it that I want to remove and rebuild the staind glass. This is a volunteer project. Thank you for your time.

Ron

Comments

BillyBoy wrote on 4/18/2003, 4:04 PM
Nothing is better than Photoshop. If you don't already have it, may be cheaper to hire someone to do your project that has the tools and experience since Photoshop is both very expensive and has a steep learning curve to do more involved projects. There are similar products like Paint Shop Pro, again what you're attempting isn't a beginner project. You may also want to take a look at GIMP. Two big advantages, its FREE (totally) and is as good, maybe better in some areas than Photoshop. The rub is it isn't that stable since it was written for Lynix and while there is a Windows port, it could be more stable.

For big holes, tears, you need something like the 'rubber stamp' tool, which can pick up a similar part in the image and blend it in. Again... how good the outcome depends a lot on the damage and the skill of the person making the correction. Good luck.
Jessariah67 wrote on 4/18/2003, 4:10 PM
I agreee with Billy -- hire it done. Photoshop will set you back several hundred $$ and will take some time getting used to. I don't know what Photoshop LE has in it, but for this you'll need cloning, rubberstamp and healing tools (healing is new to PS 7).
Bear wrote on 4/18/2003, 4:18 PM
Without a doubt photoshop elements 2. It is inexpensive, designed to be used with photos and fairly easy to learn. I am a old photoshop user I have 7.01 just to keep current but I use Elements 90 percent of the time. I do photo restoration all the time and it is much easier with this product. I also to work with getting pictures ready for the internet of scuptures and other hard to get items. With elements i take everything but item out of the frame and rebuild what I would like. You can even use custom lighting effects right in the program.
markrad wrote on 4/18/2003, 10:50 PM
Bear-
Interesting you should bring up Photosheop Elements 2. Does it support ALPHA Channels? I have Adobe Photo Deluxe Home Edition which was good but had no Alpha support. (Turns out Adobe is dumping support for that product shortly anyway.)
I'm new to masking and compositing with Vegas but it seems like Alpha channels are important. Is that the case?

Mark
The Producer
bjtap wrote on 4/19/2003, 7:57 AM
I too go with Photoshop 7 with it's healing tool, history brush for removing scratches and dirt quickly and effectively and I have added Alien Skin's Image Doctor which enable me to restore fairly large ripped out areas of some old photos quickly and effectively.
Barry
travel_addict wrote on 4/19/2003, 10:26 AM
Another inexpensive program is ULEAD'S Photoimpact 8.0.
Great program!
Paul
FuTz wrote on 4/19/2003, 10:26 AM
The Producer: There seems to be alpha channels in Elements...At least, it is possible to create a new document with transparency so my guess is that it's possible to bring it too in an existing image.
Spirit wrote on 4/19/2003, 12:08 PM
I have to go against the trend here. I really think Photoshop is bloatware now and ridiculously expensive.

I'd suggest Fireworks MX (a truly brilliant app!) or Paintshop Pro with this plugin filter to restore old pics:
http://www.alienskin.com/idoc/idoc_main.html

FuTz wrote on 4/19/2003, 1:40 PM
You're right, Paintshop Pro is great too and sure would make the job done for a lot less $$$! I don't remember if it's got alpha channels though(transparency)?