Do we want to start a Vegas 6.0 feature list yet?

Comments

rmack350 wrote on 4/21/2004, 3:01 PM
Soon, I hope. Sometime before EDL support, I'm sure.

Seriously, don't spread that idea around or we'll never see nesting on the timeline.

Rob
Rednroll wrote on 4/21/2004, 3:46 PM
#1 - 7.1 surround mixing to go with my 7.1 sound card.
#3 - Dolby Pro Logic IIx (encode and decode).

FYI,
I already suggested these for Vegas 5. I'm an engineer for Harman International and me and some of the Sony engineers had some pretty indebt discussions about this. Unfortunately it didn't make it past an engineering discussion. I was entertaining them of the idea of incorporating a 5.1 and 7.1 encoder, currently used in Lexicon's professional hardware products. You might not be as familiar with this as Dolby Pro Logic II, the technology is called Logic 7 patented by Lexicon. We actually assisted Dolby in their development of the Dolby Pro Logic II Encoder/Decoder. We don't license this technology outside of Harman products, thus why you might not have heard of it, unless you own something made by JBL, Mark Levinson, Lexicon, Infinity, or Harman/Kardon. I was going to propose to Harman executives to release this technology to Sony for Vegas free, but it would have to be labeled "Logic 7" for a marketing benefit trade-off. Going the Dolby route, would have added cost to Vegas for liscensing fees. Logic 7 encoding is fully compatible with Dolby Pro Logic II decoding, and arguably better.....after all we where the first to develope it. Anyways, I can tell you there is going to be a bigger desire in the future for more 5.1 and 7.1 audio. We have just finished a Mark Levinson, Digital DSP amplifier that is in a couple Lexus vehicles that is 7.1, 5.1, DPL II, Dolby Digital,DTS and Logic 7 compatible. We have Logic 7 digital amplifiers in Mercedes Benz, Toyota, Chrysler and BMW vehicles, that will give you full 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound, even when listening to FM stereo and CD stereo broadcasts. Especially if that stereo mix was encoded with a DPL II or Logic 7 encoder. So not only is there more surround material going to be produced because people have it their homes, but a lot of people have it in their vehicles now too. Sony did put a Surround to Stereo downmix feature in Vegas 5.0. I'm not sure what encoding they used. It may only be a simple algorithm similar to Dolby Pro Logic I encoder which will only give you Left/Right/Rear, and Center channel information back on decoding. I've been meaning to use some software decoder tools that I have to see if it is indeed a true 5.1 encoder.

red
pwppch wrote on 4/21/2004, 6:07 PM
>>Sony did put a Surround to Stereo downmix feature in Vegas 5.0. I'm not sure what encoding they used. It may only be a simple algorithm similar to Dolby Pro Logic I encoder which will only give you Left/Right/Rear, and Center channel information back on decoding.
<<
Nothing so grand. Just a simple down mix from the 5 discreet channels to stereo. No "encoding" going on. This is about getting a 'reference' of what the stereo mix will sound like with out actually changing the project properties from surround to stereo. Basically no different than downmix to mono in Vegas 5. It is a simple reference, nothing else.