Does this render time sound right?

Randy Brown wrote on 12/16/2010, 9:20 AM
Hola,
I have a 38 minute mixed DV widescreen/HDV project with color correction that is showing it will take over 8 hours to render to DVDA widescreen (VP10). Does this sound like something is wrong? I tried rendering it yesterday and it took over 7 hours and when I opened it in DVDA it wasn't even all there so I'm rendering again but something seems wrong no?
Specs:
Windows Version:7 64-bit
RAM:8 gb
Processor:Q8300 2.5 ghz
Video Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
Sound Card:Delta 1010
Thanks very much,
Randy

Comments

musicvid10 wrote on 12/16/2010, 9:24 AM
"I have a 38 minute mixed DV widescreen/HDV project with color correction that is showing it will take over 8 hours to render to DVDA widescreen (VP10). Does this sound like something is wrong?"

With mixed media and color correction, 8 hours sounds pretty fast to me.
Chienworks wrote on 12/16/2010, 10:19 AM
Color correction alone can triple rendering time, depending on the source. Color correction & color curves combined can quintuple it.
Randy Brown wrote on 12/16/2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks Kelly, I've noticed color correction can double or even triple but nothing that takes this long....must be the DV/HDV combination thrown in the mix I guess.
Thanks again,
Randy
winrockpost wrote on 12/16/2010, 2:27 PM
way too long,, if you are using sony cc, something isn't right
kkolbo wrote on 12/16/2010, 2:31 PM
way too long,, if you are using sony cc, something isn't right

I agree. Unless there are layers and transparency, over four hours seems wrong. It sounds like maybe the RAM Preview is set to a high number. That will slow it down.
Randy Brown wrote on 12/16/2010, 3:38 PM
The Ram preview is indeed set to like 80% of my total....b/c I read somewhere to increase it even if you don't use ram preview...what should I set it to if I have 8gb and I don't use ram preview?
Thanks guys, I was thinking something had to be wrong
kkolbo wrote on 12/16/2010, 3:43 PM
I would take it down to 256Mb. Some say they get better with 1024mb, but I get the best at 256mb. This is just during render. I run much higher during cutting.
Randy Brown wrote on 12/16/2010, 4:05 PM
Thanks very much K...how high would you run during editing if you had 8gb total.
Thanks again,
Randy
kkolbo wrote on 12/16/2010, 7:03 PM
I usually run 2GB when editing
kkolbo wrote on 12/17/2010, 7:15 AM
Did your render go faster?
Randy Brown wrote on 12/18/2010, 6:55 PM
It was 80% done so I let it finish...I have one Monday though and I'll check it then...thanks K!
jerald wrote on 12/24/2010, 9:58 PM
Hi, Randy,
As others have said, render times can vary (a lot) depending on added effects.

Your computer specs sound fine.

As a "reality check" sort of test you may want to create a small sample project with no effects and render it, comparing render-time to real-time duration of the video.

I have a Q6600 with 3gb running 32 bit Vegas Pro 9 & 10. Using AVCHD source (1920x1080x60i) & Rendering to DVD Widescreen (720x480) I generally see about 1.5x real-time video duration (1 minute dvd runtime takes about 90 seconds). This is a ballpark & isn't always the same.

Some factors that are often overlooked:
-make sure that your hard disks that are being used for operating system, program files, temorary files, source files, and render target files are defragmented. Fragmented drives can have a dramatic impact on render speed.

-Ideally you will have your program files on one hard drive, your source files on a separate drive, your temperary files on a third drive, and your target files on a fourth drive. This will optimize read and write speeds.

-Be careful about other programs that use a lot of system memory &/or resources (e.g. Photoshop, etc) running at the same time as rendering.

If you need to render many pieces from a single project, scripts can be very useful in enabling multiple renders overnight or when away from your computer.
Randy Brown wrote on 12/25/2010, 7:36 AM
Thanks jerald,
It seems kkolbo's tip has helped substantially...I find it strange that dynamic ram preview settings could make any difference but it's good to know the trick!
Thanks again,
Randy