Comments

rs170a wrote on 3/30/2010, 12:27 PM
Pro gives you customization options, Studio doesn't.

Mike
Rob Franks wrote on 3/30/2010, 1:12 PM
Depends on what you're going to.

The Pro encoder is a Dolby Certified encoder while the studio version is not. The Pro encoder works on Blu Ray while the studio encoder does not. I'm also pretty sure the studio encoder will not put out a top bit rate either.

Long story short... if you have the option to choose encoders.... then go with the Pro every time.
musicvid10 wrote on 3/30/2010, 1:34 PM
Pro always, Studio never. The Studio version has a phase shift bug that has been duplicated by Sony, but never fixed.

That being said, the Pro encoder default settings are less than optimal. Create your own template along these lines:

I've run some exhaustive tests with calibration test tones and done extensive reading of the Dolby metadata specs, and in reference to your question about the most accurate reproduction with the AC-3 Pro Encoder, I am prepared to make the following recommendations with notes:
RalphM wrote on 3/30/2010, 1:43 PM
Regarding the phase shift bug: Does Studio exhibit the bug for AC3 stereo? (not 5.1)

Thanks,
RalphM
willqen wrote on 3/30/2010, 5:12 PM
Go with musicvid's preset, it is how I run all my DVD's and I've run hundreds and hundreds out of my room with great results and no problems.The biggest problem with the supplied presets are the volume settings which this preset takes care of with the -31 dialog norm.

Will
musicvid10 wrote on 3/30/2010, 6:15 PM
Regarding the phase shift bug: Does Studio exhibit the bug for AC3 stereo? (not 5.1)

The phase shift flag only applies to surround projects, so no, the bug is not an issue for AC-3 stereo.
I render all my stereo projects with the Pro encoder, just the same.
Steve Mann wrote on 3/30/2010, 8:43 PM
Why is the Studio Encoder even there?
Rob Franks wrote on 3/31/2010, 3:50 AM
I've wondered that same question and the only thing I can think of is that DVDA pro is simply DVDa studio with the pro encoder (and a few other minor things) ADDED