Drawing circle with bezier

jyoung50 wrote on 7/10/2005, 7:22 PM
I know I'm running the risk of appearing completely ignorant, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to draw perfect circles or an ellipse mask using the bezier tool. I always end up with some lopsides area that looks terrible. I know I'm missing something basic and fundimental, so if someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

Chienworks wrote on 7/10/2005, 7:27 PM
If you want a perfect circle you should probably be using the cookie cutter tool instead. You might be able to fudge the cookie cutter to produce ovals as well. You could also draw the ovals you want in any drawing/painting program and import them into Vegas as .png (or similar) files.

The intent of the bezier tool is to create irregular shaped masks. It's not really intended for perfect circles or other geometric shapes.
jaegersing wrote on 7/10/2005, 7:58 PM
Cookie cutter has 2 presets for ovals, to give you the choice of long side horizontal or vertical.

Richard Hunter
GlennChan wrote on 7/10/2005, 9:27 PM
Well you can manually type numbers in (and then toggle tangents to get perfect tangents with the tangent tool), but it's so much easier to use the cookie cutter for this.
jyoung50 wrote on 7/11/2005, 2:09 PM
But how do a I create a circular mask using the cookie cutter tool that will pan with my event? Would I make two tracks, one with the mask and having the same panning and cropping as the track with the video?
Chienworks wrote on 7/11/2005, 2:50 PM
Yes. Or create them as tracks 2 & 3, tied to track 1 and use parent motion.
FrigidNDEditing wrote on 7/11/2005, 7:15 PM
I would just make a gen media, and put it in one track over the track you want in whatever shape you want, then below it (in a child track) put the image that you want to show through. Then change the setting of the parent track from source alpha (or whatever it's natural setting is) to multiply mask. then use a blank third track above it as an overall parent track (make the two tracks below it child tracks of that track) and use parent motion to move it all around.

That's just what I'd do.

Dave
jyoung50 wrote on 7/11/2005, 9:31 PM
Thanks, everyone, for all your help! I've got it figured out now.