Drive not recognized. nForce. SOLUTION

eelliott wrote on 11/16/2005, 1:41 PM
Perhaps someone else will benefit from the several hours I've spent fixing this problem.

Problem: CDA 5.2 would not recognize a BenQ DW1620 drive connected to a _DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D motherboard with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU. This board uses the nForce4 chipset. Other CD burning software (Sound Forge 8, WMP10, RecordNow DX) recognized the DW1620.

The ultimate cure was to copy the matching DLL's and their LNG files from the Sound Forge 8 directory to the CDA 5.2 directory. This means that CDA is now using DLL's dated 7/29/2005 rather than 2/4/2005. Also, CDA's Options->Preferences->General->SkipDriveDatabase is checked.

Along the way, I did some other things but I doubt if they're necessary to solve the problem -- I've wasted so much time on this that I'm not willing to start undoing the other steps to determine what's necessary and what's not. The probably unnecessary steps are:

o Installed the latest nForce drivers downloaded directly from nVidia (per the Sony FAQ/knowledgebase)
o Installed ForceASPI 1.7
o Copied the WNASPI32.DLL and the 3 other ASPI files to the CDA Program Files folder (because FileMon showed that CDA was looking in that folder for WNASPI32.DLL)
o Updated the DW1620 firmware from B7U9 to B7W9

Hope this helps someone.
Ed

--------------------
After posting the above, I encountered another problem. Tracks 20-24 of a 24 track, 80-minute CD-R were mute, i.e., the tracks were defined and my test CD player played each track for the proper length of time but there was no sound. The solution was to turn off "Buffer Underrun Protection".

Also I noticed some quality problems at Max speed, but 8X seems fine -- 8X is the minimum allowed in the drop down box -- I'm not sure if that's a function of the DW1620 or the media.

---------------------------
The CDA 5.2a update, which became available after my post, also works.

Comments

mezzro wrote on 12/1/2006, 3:46 PM
To narrow this solution, try replacing/updating the single dll file, sfspti.dll, in Sound Architect with the updated file of the same name in Sound Forge.

Failure of Sound Architect to detect Pioneer DVD/CD RW drives is also a known issue.

This resolved my problem, hope it helps others.