Dual Monitor Users -- Vegas 6

cbrillow wrote on 4/20/2005, 8:18 PM
I've been using dual monitors via my video card for quite some time. This works by undocking the preview window and dragging it to the second monitor, where the window appears with all of the usual control icons.

I was running in this manner when I decided to test the 2nd monitor support that Vegas 6 has supplied. The preview window was indeed seen on the 2nd monitor, full-screen, without the control icons. Works very nicely!

However, because the preview window was ALREADY located in the 2nd monitor before enabling the preview in that 2nd monitor, there was no apparent way to turn off the external display or drag the preview window back to the primary Vegas display.

If you're as adventurous (or foolhardy, perhaps...) as I, and find yourself with this dilemma, you can turn off the external preview with a hotkey combination: Alt-Shift-4.

To put it another way: Don't try this at home.

Comments

rmack350 wrote on 4/20/2005, 9:01 PM
Good Tip! Otherwise you'd be in a bit of a spot.

Rob Mack
PeterWright wrote on 4/20/2005, 9:10 PM
cbrillow - I was wondering about this - I already have a full size preview window in the right monitor - what essentially is the difference with the Secondary Monitor setting?

Thanks
Stonefield wrote on 4/20/2005, 10:59 PM
This is the one feature in V6 that intrigues me the most, ( I'm years away from HDV ) and the use of the Secondary Monitor I think shouldn't be confused with "second monitor" that you would use to spread the real estate of the Vegas application.

What this new Secondary Monitor will do ( if I'm correct ) will let you edit in a corner and if you like, can run a 3rd VGA/DVI output to an appropriate "client" monitor. That could be anything that accepts a VGA/DVi Input like a HiDef Television, Projector, etc.

One scenario that you can see this in action is anytime you see a behind the scenes video of Peter Jackson editing Lord of the Rings. The editor is cutting away at his station using dual monitors and a NTSC or PAL television monitor on his desk. Then that third line is run to a 40 inch widescreen display that Peter Jackson can watch while he comfortably sits on the couch, in his bare feet, giving the editor and himself some comfortable space.

I've had people looking right over my shoulder while I cut together a piece. I'm a people person but someone literally breathing down you're neck can be a pain.
PeterWright wrote on 4/20/2005, 11:30 PM
Stonefield - having some of YOUR subjects breathing down your neck doesn't sound too bad ...;)
cbrillow wrote on 4/21/2005, 3:18 AM
PeterWright -- the new secondary monitor option gives you a full-screen display with no window border, menu bar or icons. In that way, it's different from dragging the preview to a 2nd monitor in a dual-monitor setup.

There may be other differences, but I didn't notice anything in my brief trial of V6 last night.
Grazie wrote on 4/21/2005, 3:42 AM

"I'm a people person but someone literally breathing down you're neck can be a pain."

Stan: Please I'll do your job .. take me! . .take me! . . .

Grazie

BowmanDigital wrote on 4/21/2005, 7:54 AM
In Vegas6, u can disable the 2nd monitor as the video preview in the preferences>preview device>none, then u can have the normal preview window available to be resized on the working window so u can have quick access to preview settings such as quality settings and title safe switches. u can then turn it back on ,,
Nat wrote on 4/21/2005, 7:59 AM
You don't need to disable it in you preferences. Get used to the shift-alt 4 shortcut and it'll be very fast to switch settings, or better yet, leave your preview windoe on your main screen.
BrianStanding wrote on 4/21/2005, 8:04 AM
Is there a hot-key combination to switch to OHCI firewire monitor, too? It would be nice to switch between NTSC interlaced monitor, and LCD monitor with a hot-key switch.
cbrillow wrote on 4/21/2005, 8:23 AM
I don't think so, BrianStanding. The hotkey combinations mentioned merely enable/disable whatever device you have set up as the secondary display in Preferences, whether it's the 2nd monitor, firewire device, or the Decklink thing...
jkrepner wrote on 4/21/2005, 8:58 AM
Not to open this can off worms... but does the new Vegas 6 VGA preview to 2nd monitor feature look better than a standard NTSC display? I'm going to try it this weekend, but this could be a way to get really high-end display without buying an expensive production monitor. I do realize that a high-end monitor is still the way to go, but it might be an affordable alt for those not wishing to pay upwards of 500/600 bucks for good pro models.

(p.s. if anyone starts a war about pro vs. consumer monitoring options I'll be forced to send some "muscle" over to your studio and wrap a keyboard over your head. :-)
fultro wrote on 4/21/2005, 9:56 AM
jkrepner - thanks for asking about what I have been assuming to be true about subbing a progressive computer display for a HiDef monitor for economical reasons . I certainly haven't seen any HD (720p) models for anything near as cheap as you suggest either so I would hope that the computer monitor is a viable alternative
Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated
JJKizak wrote on 4/21/2005, 10:15 AM
My problem now is that everything has to be upgraded for HD. My Parhelia is only 1280 resolution max with three analog outputs AGP.
Now I have to go with the new card, new moboard, new memory, and new HD monitor if I can find one that goes to 1920 without breaking the bank.

JJK