Duplicating audio tracks from non-stereo recording

MikeLV wrote on 5/15/2019, 4:57 PM

Suppose I have recorded a guitar and a backing track panned full left and full right for separation. When I import the video into Vegas, I have one left, and one right track with the guitar and backing. Should I duplicate both tracks so each one has a left and right? Or maybe just the guitar track? But then when I normalize the track, when I duplicate it, things start clipping and I have to lower the gain. So what is the correct way to actually process this audio? The guitar sounds much better when I duplicate the track, much thicker sounds, more presence than if I simply pan to the center.

Comments

fr0sty wrote on 5/15/2019, 9:31 PM

duplicating the track effectively doubles your volume, which is why you think it sounds better... but you could probably just pan it center and apply some compression to it and get the same effect... or if you want some artificial separation, you could try zooming WAY in to the audio, and offsetting one of the duplicates by a few ms, this creates a very quick echo that creates a sense of space where there is none, once they tracks are panned apart from each other. There are also stereo expander VST plugins that pull this off in a much easier way, and keeps everything in one track so you don't have to apply fx to multiple tracks at once.

You can also make a group track and apply fx to it, if you want to use the duplicate method.

Dot wrote on 5/15/2019, 9:49 PM

I would duplicate the stereo track, then Right click on one and select LEFT ONLY, and then right click on the duplicate and select RIGHT ONLY. Now you you two mono tracks separated and you can treat each track (normalize, etc) separately.

(they technically are stereo tracks, but each channel on each track has the same music data)

rraud wrote on 5/16/2019, 10:28 AM

I would duplicate the stereo track, then Right click on one and select LEFT ONLY, and then right click on the duplicate and select RIGHT ONLY. Now you you two mono tracks separated and you can treat each track (normalize, etc) separately.

(they technically are stereo tracks, but each channel on each track has the same music data)

+11

To be more concise, Right click the event and select CHANNELS > which has the Left or Right only options.

MikeLV wrote on 5/16/2019, 11:26 AM

There are also stereo expander VST plugins that pull this off in a much easier way, and keeps everything in one track so you don't have to apply fx to multiple tracks at once.

Thanks @fr0sty - can you recommend one such plugin?

Also, I think perhaps I wasn't clear. When I capture the audio from the camera, I do have one stereo track. That is, rhythm track/MP3 panned full left, and guitar panned full right. so it's already left and right only for each "instrument". Here's an example screenshot. Although in this image, I've already moved the pan of each channel to the center.

Dot wrote on 5/16/2019, 12:16 PM

That looks like two mono tracks, not one stereo track. so I am confused as to what you are asking.

MikeLV wrote on 5/16/2019, 12:26 PM

Yes, it's recorded each instrument to its own channel, left and right

fr0sty wrote on 5/16/2019, 12:36 PM

You still want to do what was suggested above, right click and select left or right channel so you get a isolated mono track that is separate from the other track, allowing you to individually adjust volume and effects for just that channel/track.

As for the VST, https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2011/10/28/bpb-freeware-studio-best-free-stereo-enhancerexpander-vstau-plugins/

MikeLV wrote on 5/17/2019, 11:54 AM

I don't understand what you guys mean about right clicking. Right clicking what? If you look at my screenshot, the two tracks are already isolated mono. When I import them from the camera, that's how they come in. One track is left, and one is right. I record backing track to the left, and guitar to the right.

Marco. wrote on 5/17/2019, 11:57 AM

Right-clicking the audio event.

MikeLV wrote on 5/17/2019, 12:25 PM

Right click the audio event, then go to Channels? If so, one track is on channel 1 and the other is on channel 2 already. So I don't understand why you're instructing me to do something that is already done when I bring the audio into Vegas? very confused.

Dot wrote on 5/17/2019, 1:53 PM

I now reread your original question and understand, I think, what you are asking.

No need to duplicate to have a left and right, just use PAN to adjust how much you want of each instrument in both channels. Duplicating may change the sound. You can also create a delay between the original and duplicate which will give a full sound if not overdone. Pan one a bit left and one a bit right to give a stereo sound.

MikeLV wrote on 6/4/2019, 4:03 PM

I downloaded and installed this one:

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/master-and-deliver/ozone/ozone-imager.html

The 64bit version caused Vegas to lock up, but the 32 bit version seems to work. I can't find any instructions for this plugin, but there's just two controls for it.

My question for anyone that uses it, are the red dots along the outside of the circle an indication of clipping?

I might try some of the other plugins @fr0sty linked to.