Comments

Former user wrote on 9/17/2003, 3:28 PM
Do a search for DVD rippers. There are several available that allow you to copy, or rip the VOB files to other formats.

Dave T2
JohnnyRoy wrote on 9/17/2003, 8:08 PM
Take a look at www.dvdrhelp.com and you'll find lots of tutorials complete with links to the tools you need to get the job done.

~jr
eric321 wrote on 9/18/2003, 2:08 PM
thanks for this info. There is non-copyright uses for this as well.

I did a wedding DVD about a year ago. They now want new scenes added and I no longer have the source. I have a copy of the DVD though, so I'd like to be able to get back to at least the video sections and make some changes. I'll put on a new menu, but I'd rather not do an analog capture of it if I don't have to.

I hope there's not too much loss in quality during the process ...
JohnnyRoy wrote on 9/19/2003, 7:42 AM
If you made the DVD you don’t need a “ripper”. You can just copy the VOB file from the DVD and drop it on the Vegas timeline since, I assume, you did not copy-protect the DVD in any way. If you used DVDA with AC3 audio, Vegas will not import this. You will need to use a conversion tool to convert the AC3 back to a WAV or MP3 file and drop that into Vegas separately and sync it up.

~jr
lukearndt wrote on 1/20/2004, 1:07 PM
MovieStudio doesn't allow you to just drop in VOB files. Does anybody know of a way to either convert VOB to DV AVI so I can edit a homemade DVD?
Former user wrote on 1/20/2004, 1:32 PM
A vob file is an MPEG file. YOu can change the name to include an MPG extension and it should load. Sometimes though there is an audio issue. YOu might need to use some software to demux the audio.

Dave T2
lukearndt wrote on 1/21/2004, 2:50 PM
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for clearing it up, Dave! Can you recommend a good program that will demux the audio or whatever I need to do to get the sound from my DVD?
merkelck wrote on 1/21/2004, 6:19 PM
You might try a program called DVD2AVI. I think it is free download.
Goggle for it.
Kent
lukearndt wrote on 1/21/2004, 8:07 PM
I tried DVD2AVI, but I can't seem to get it to rip or decode the video without compression, which is what I'm trying to do. I can get the video by renaming the .vob to .mpg, but I'm trying to get the audio in there as well.
merkelck wrote on 1/22/2004, 9:16 AM
Some others that come to mind are DVDSHRINK and DVD Decrypter. There is an extensive manual in .pdf format , that should tell you if it is capable of what you want to do.
Kent
lukearndt wrote on 1/23/2004, 6:18 PM
I tried using both of those programs, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get a good, lossless conversion from the VOB file to something that I can use in MovieStudio so I can edit the homemade DVD and then re-burn it. Any ideas?
IanG wrote on 1/24/2004, 1:00 AM
I've just used VobEdit to demux the mp2 audio from one of my vobs. Audacity then converted that into a wav which I imported into the source project in VF. Finaly, I muted the existing sound tracks, added the new wav and the results are fine - everything's in sync and no obvious loss of quality.

Ian G.