DVD Labels

markrad wrote on 3/10/2003, 12:00 PM
Transfering a topic over from the Vegas Video Forum
(see http://www.sonicfoundry.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?MessageID=122259&Replies=15&Page=2)

Subject: DVD Labeling Solution!
Posted by: tadpole

From the fear of the problems associated with thick-fat CD-ROM adhesive labels, and the high $ cost of direct disc printers, i've been stuck using a marker to label my DVDs - which just isn't very nice looking.
I recently came across a new adhesive label apparently designed for DVD use!
Found them here - www.americal.com
[No-Wobble Frosty White INKJET CD/DVD Labels]

As their name implies, they are "frosty" - which makes them somewhat translucent, so i would only recommend using them with blank non-branded top discs.
They seem to be working great for me so far! I would recommend all "sharpie-nators" out there to give em a shot.

------------------------------
Subject: RE: DVD Labeling Solution!
Posted by: The_Producer
Date: 3/10/2003 1:21:42 AM

Tadpole (or others) - When using these "frosty" labels which looks better- Silver or White faced disks? Say for example I'm printing a label with the U.S. Flag on it, will the silver disk make the flag appear Red, SILVER, and blue when using these labels? For printing a text-only label then I guess the color of the disk wouldn't matter? It's late, maybe it's just not that complicated....but you do LIKE the "frosties"?

Sonicboom - I know you love NEATO.com but every label I found there was the old thick-skin variety that they have always sold. That may be fine for CD-R but maybe no so good for DVD judging by some posts I've read here. Have you found any other
thin labels anywhere?

Comments

seeker wrote on 3/11/2003, 11:16 PM
As a result of the information presented in that thread, I have decided to purchase an Avery AfterBurner "full-face" label applier.

http://www.avery.com/products/afterburner2/index.html

The Avery AfterBurner applicator has a curved spring-action design to prevent bubbles under the label, and it can be used to apply the thin frosty labels as well as the "thick" labels. Although I am currently just burning CD-Rs and CD-RWs, I will be burning miniDVDs on CD-Rs, and it is my understanding that standalone DVD players spin those CD-Rs at high speeds, so label thinness is an issue for me.

Some inkjet printers costing as little as $300 can print directly on white-faced DVDs and CDs. However, I heard somewhere that the ink tends to rub off of those. Unless the white-faced DVDs and CDs have a degree of absorption of the ink, it seems plausible that the ink could rub off.

Of course, absorbtion is important for the labels, too. I have heard that the glossy-surfaced labels are also prone to smearing. I think what we need is white-faced DVDs and CDs that have a paper-like quality to the white surface that will take and hold the ink in a reasonably smear-proof way. Then the inkjets that can print directly on the discs could produce a good product.

-- Seeker --
markrad wrote on 3/12/2003, 12:07 AM
<Some inkjet printers costing as little as $300 can print directly on white-faced DVDs and CDs. However, I heard somewhere that the ink tends to rub off of those. Unless the white-faced DVDs and CDs have a degree of absorption of the ink, it seems plausible that the ink could rub off.>

Seeker,
Wondering if you've seen some of the same information I have on "Inkjet Printable Disk".... visit
http://americal.com/cgi-bin/smart_cart2.cgi
The claims are that these disks are "SUPER ABSORBABLE WHITE OVERCOATING -- Our own guaranteed quality general purpose type 4.7GB DVD-R write-once DVD-Rs. Special inkjet printable white surface absorbs ink to produce clear sharp edges and bright colors, over metal reflector, packed into convenient spindles of 25, 50 or 100 - jewel cases or DVD boxes available separately. Requires special pass-thru CD/DVD printers."

I already have a batch of frosty "no wobble" thin labels on the way but I could see where eventually a $300, DVD compatible printer may be practical.
scsinuts wrote on 3/12/2003, 12:25 AM
Personally I use the "core" labels from Neato. they only cover the clear plastic inner ring of the DVD and have never caused any playback problems for my DVD's that I give to customers. They are inexpensive to boot. I went round and round with the so called "DVD" labels. Too many disks came back. I have compensated the loss of graphics on the face of the disk by making nice graphics for the DVD alpha case.

I have been pleading with Neato to make the core labels in something other than "matte" white. If they would make them in glossy, they would be even lighter and thinner than they already are and the resulting print on them would look cleaner. Anyone reading this message should e-mail neato with the same request. Don't think one customer can sway them like 20 or so asking for the same thing.

David Yopp
www.afteraction.com
seeker wrote on 3/12/2003, 9:12 PM
Producer,

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't fully explored the Americal site, and wasn't aware that the special inkjet printable disks I was waiting for are already there.

-- Seeker --