DVD on demand

goodtimej wrote on 2/19/2009, 12:57 AM
Can I ask if any of you have had good experience working with "on demand" DVD duplicators? I have a couple projects coming out that I wish to sell independantly on the internet and I'm really not sure if they will sell 10 or 10,000. I don't want to be foolish and just go for broke by prepurchasing too many so a company that receives my single order, prints it and mails it to my customer might be very nice to start out with. Any experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

fldave wrote on 2/19/2009, 5:55 AM
I have been thinking of going with Createspace.com Amazon bought them a few years ago, they have several packages/programs available. If you want to give them a large %, they will even sell your stuff on Amazon searches.

I don't work for these people, just interested in using them, so I would also be curious on feedback on them or other companies like them.
goodtimej wrote on 2/19/2009, 9:51 AM
Yeah, they take too much of a cut. I was thinking more that I will set up the sales and just use a company for fulfillment.
Robert W wrote on 2/20/2009, 12:06 AM
At present I use kunaki.com for the US version of a retail DVD. They have a 'publish at no cost' service, in which they take the orders and process the payments, take a 5% handling charge and send you a monthly cheque. If you like, you can also deposit credit for units with them, and take payments directly into you own account from your own site, automated the production request with their xml engine. They can also supply runs of units on demand.

Of course, it is all DVD-R runs. Also, their customer service is not exactly first class. All correspondence is via email, and fairly limited. Content is uploaded to their servers via a proprietary loader, which works fairly well. However, they do not accept CMYK files, so print colour control goes completely out of the window. This is probably one of the most considerable issues for me, because their printers cover and cd printers seem to interpret certain colour radically differently.

However, if you can get past that, the system does work very well. They pay very promptly by cheque or paypal (I would recommend the paypal route if you are based outside of the US). The actually product is of a good standard. The packaging would look similar to DVD commercial releases to the average consumer eye. The DVD-Rs appear to be well written and play well.

It might be worth a try for you. It costs nothing to set up and they send each publisher a free sample for the firs project they upload.