DVDA 2 vs. Reel DVD

StormMarc wrote on 4/20/2004, 5:31 PM
I'm probably going to update to V5 and for an additional $100 I can get DVDA 2. Does DVDA 2 do everything Reel DVD does? Are the DVDs as reliable? I depise Sonic (They want $399.00 for an upgrade fom Reel DVD 2.5 to 3.0 which added nothing but bug fixes.) so I'm looking for another DVD program that will actually be developed further and by a company that values its customers.

Thanks,

Marc

Comments

JakeHannam wrote on 4/20/2004, 6:38 PM
Marc,

In my opinion, Sonic Solutions is very poor about updates and fixes to their products. They have abandoned DVDIt! in favor of MyDVD (entry level) and ReelDVD ('pro' level) leaving DVDIt PE's users out in the cold. Also, unless I'm mistaken, ReelDVD requires a dongle and who wants to mess with that? That may have changed with the newest version, however - I don't know.

Sonic Foundry/Sony, on the other, are ALWAYS updating and fixing their products and I see no reason to expect that to change. They do not normally charge for bug fixes although some might argue that point. Their upgrade pricing, while not spectacular, is better than Sonic Soultions, for sure. They ask for, and get, what the market will bear. Adobe is the same about upgrades.

Only you can decide who makes the best DVD authoring program. Most vendors (Adobe, Sonic, Sony/SOFO, etc.) have trial versions that you can try before you buy. You might also want to look at Pinnacle to see what they have these days.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Jake