DVDA Not Writing to External ASUS BluRay Burner

BobWard wrote on 9/7/2019, 6:37 PM

I just got an ASUS external BluRay writer. I am trying to burn a DVDA project to a DVD-R disk using this external burner. This ASUS burner is advertised as being capable of burning to BluRay and non-BluRay disks.

I have tried burning a DVDA project (non-BluRay) twice now and each time I get an "incompatible media error" when the disk gets ready to burn (using a Taiyo Yuden DVD-R disk).

This external drive will burn data files to the T-Y DVD-R disks just fine, but is seems to reject these disks when trying to create a non-BluRay DVD from the DVDA menu.

Anyone experience this issue before? Any specific settings I should pay close attention too?

I am using DVD Architect Build 84.

ASUS tech support was no help in resolving this problem.

Comments

Dot wrote on 9/8/2019, 8:00 AM

A lot of us have found that burning directly from DVDA to a DVD can be problematic. It may not be the best fix, but I usually build a folder from DVDA and use IMGBURN to actually burn the disk.
As to your immediate problem, are you able to burn Bluray Disks directly to the external burner?

BobWard wrote on 9/9/2019, 7:54 PM

Thanks for the response.

Just ordered some Bluray disks yesterday. So once I receive those I will try a data file burn directly from Windows Explorer to the external Bluray burner, using a Bluray disk.

However, as I mentioned above, I have never had any previous problems burning directly from DVDA to DVD-R disks using my internal DVD drive - probably burned over a 100 movies that way.

So, when you say you "build a folder from DVDA", I assume that you are selecting the DVDA option "Prepare" (Prepare the current project to a specified folder.) that is presented after clicking the "Make DVD" tab for the *.dar project. When that folder is then prepared, you just burn the folder contents to a DVD and the movie will play? I always thought you had to create the playable DVD from within DVDA.

Dot wrote on 9/9/2019, 8:58 PM

Right, I create a folder using PREPARE and then use a program like IMGBURN to burn the disk. The burning software you use has to be DVD Video aware. You can't just burn the folder using windows or something that doesn't know what a Video DVD structure is.

BobWard wrote on 9/9/2019, 9:05 PM

Great, got it. I will give that a shot when I get the Bluray disks.

Thanks for your help.

TOG62 wrote on 9/10/2019, 12:08 AM

You can use Dot's method to burn DVDs, so long as Imgburn recognises your external burner. In the case of Blu-ray discs you need to create an ISO file in DVDA and burn that with Imgburn.