DVDA Warning

mjroddy wrote on 10/12/2007, 11:44 AM
I'm so depressed.
For my first DVDA "real" project, I got super ambitious. I have several dozen assets and menus linking everywhere and everything Previews fine.
But when I go to Make DVD and Prepare, it seems to be swell, with only a few items "outside title safe" (in truth, only the bounding box is outside, but that should be fine).
But at the end of it's Preparing, I get a:

"Warning: An error occured while writing a file.
Invalid data was encountered when processing an MPEG file."

Which bloody file?! I can't fix anything if it doesn't tell me what's really wrong.
*sigh*
Is there any help for me besides going back and recreating this from absolute scratch and testing every step of the way.

Comments

farss wrote on 10/12/2007, 11:48 AM
Firstly check under Optimise DVD, each video and audio stream should have a tick.
Secondly double click every video to open it's timeline, wait for peaks and thumnails to build and see if it plays OK on the DVDA timeline.

I've never had this problem so I'm kind of winging it here but that's how I'd start.

Bob.
xberk wrote on 10/12/2007, 11:54 AM
Do all the files run in preview? You can rapidly spot check all the files that way.
Former user wrote on 10/12/2007, 12:28 PM
Yep, ran into this recently when trying to us an MPEG created on Apples compressor program

It is probably caused by the MPEG not ending in an Iframe. At least that is what I figured out.

First thing,

Create a Dummy DVD project by copying your current project. Then using the Dummy, delete the mpeg files one at a time and try to compile. When you have deleted the problem file, you will know which one to fix.

Then what I did was run the file through the MPEG tools of the free TMPGEnc program that I have around. Used the EDIT option and change the end of the mpeg file by a few frames. This will cause TMPGEnc to write a new iframe.

After doing this, the whole project compiled fine.

Dave T2
apit34356 wrote on 10/12/2007, 1:58 PM
Sounds like you make a few moving movie menus, so check them first for the Iframe issue. after that, I would follow Farss approach first.
mjroddy wrote on 10/12/2007, 4:43 PM
So much to think about!
Well, that's a good thing, I think. At least I have options.
Sounds like the most likely culprit is the MPEG from a Mac. I put a bunch of spots on that were imported/exported from a Mac, so that might be it.
I do have one animated transition, but I am pretty sure that works. Also have one animate menu (so far), and that seemed to "Prepare" properly as well.
It's weird, though. I removed the entire menu and media that had those Mac files and it still hassled me.
My next move at this point is to re-double check what has been mentioned here, then, as Dave suggested, have a dummy project and start pulling stuff out, Preparing, then seeing where the problem crops up.
Thanks for all the help and advice!
TGS wrote on 10/12/2007, 7:24 PM
If you used a previous DVD-A template, and just erased the original media and replaced with new media, this may be your problem. I've noticed problems in the past with trying to remove media in DVD-A and replace it with something else.
Don't get me wrong. I have replaced media before, but it's not 100% guarantee it will always work. Sometimes I just have to restart the DVD-A part of the project from scratch.
AlistairLock wrote on 10/19/2007, 3:03 AM
Hi.
Had this exact warning yesterday, when I'm trying to get a DVD made and in the post by end of play.

In my case it turned out NOT TO BE THE MPEG but the AC3 file!
I'd attempted to re-render the AC3 while DVD arch was still running, I started the render then left the machine. Came back. It's done (apparently)

BUT...

It hadn't fully rendered.

In DVDarch I try re-renddering the DVD project and it consistently gives the error. Then when I look at the time line I notice for that the AC3 hasn't been rendered fully. I re-render the AC3 and all is well.

Hope this solves the problem!