DVX100a Users: 24pa question

ReneH wrote on 6/23/2005, 4:16 PM
Hello! All,

I was thinking of shooting a doc at 24pa intended for possible film later on and had a question regarding Vegas settings: what pulldown should I choose in terms of rendering, and what settings should I capture in ? Did a search but could not find anything more concrete. Greatly appreciate the help.

Comments

vitalforce wrote on 6/23/2005, 6:15 PM
I have read on this forum before (over a year ago, don't remember the search terms) that both capturing and editing with the 2-3-3-2 pulldown is the least lossy, and was accessible beginning with Vegas 4.0d, I believe.

I had just bought a spankin' new DVX100 and started filming a digital feature in 2-3 before the update came out. I don't see a huge difference to the eye when outputting, but I'm told there's a subtle difference.
farss wrote on 6/23/2005, 6:27 PM
There's a White Paper on this site that covers it all very nicely.
ReneH wrote on 6/23/2005, 7:29 PM
Yep, me too! I bought mine very recently and am anxious to use it right the first time. That's why all the questions pertaininig to Vegas & DVX100A. I'll try to look for the white paper on this quesry. Thanks!

Not sure about this setting change, someone correct me if this is wrong: I unchecked the prerf>general>"allow pull down remoavl if opening 24p dv.
Is that a correct option? Also, should I render the file as .avi so that I am able to use the NTSC DV 24p (inserting 2-3-3-2 pulldown? Any help is greatly appreciated.
BarryGreen wrote on 6/25/2005, 5:26 PM
Use a 24p timeline, and make sure "allow pulldown removal" is checked.

Shoot 2-3-3-2/24pa when editing in a 24p timeline. Only use 2-3/24pn when not editing in a 24p timeline.
ReneH wrote on 6/25/2005, 6:51 PM
Barry,

Thanks for your answer, I did not know you were versed in all things Vegas. Do you use Vegas as your NLE?

BTW, I have enjoyed reading your book as well as the dvd that accompanied it. I'm not sure if the dvd I got is defective, I can't seem to view some of the content, particularly, the promo for fight scenes.
BarryGreen wrote on 6/27/2005, 11:44 AM
I use Vegas as my primary NLE, yes. I switched to it after getting the DVX, and have never looked back. Its 24p integration is just far and away superior to any other NLE!

As far as the DVD, send me a PM on DVXUser and I'll send you a replacement. I think I've only heard of one person's DVD not working, so it might just be a scratch or something like that.