Early Look at Vegas 7?

tvwonder wrote on 7/26/2006, 2:28 PM
I just got the latest Sony Media Software News by e-mail which included this section about the upcoming WEVA convention (check out the last line):

"WEVA fevah
Professional videographers from around the world will converge in Las Vegas on August 21-24 to see and hear what's new in the world of wedding and event videography. If you plan to attend, be sure to stop by the Sony Media Software booth to see live demonstrations of Cinescore software and get a sneak peek at another upcoming release that will have video editors everywhere jumping for joy."

Comments

FrigidNDEditing wrote on 7/26/2006, 3:03 PM
that would be way sweet

Dave
p@mast3rs wrote on 7/26/2006, 4:12 PM
Seriously, if you are goign to give sneak peaks why not put it out there for all to see? At least give some idea of what to expect instead of letting your user base sit here and wait and guess what will be included. This is one area I wish Sony would change and change quickly. I dont expect a complete feature list but a little bit more than nothing would help buidl futerh interest in a product that is still seen as a toy or a consumer app by many in the industry.

Users jumping for joy? Is there really anything else that Sony could offer in an NLE that would make the heavens open up and rain down chocolate covered cherries and sour skittles compelling everyone to do their Happy Joy dance? Perhaps next gen authoring and/or GPU asssited rendering but other than that, not much would make me jump for joy. Happy? Perhaps.

All in all, as long as it improves productivity and workflow, Ill be happy to plunk down my cash as I do every year.
rmack350 wrote on 7/26/2006, 6:02 PM
Good points. The main thing for current users is for things to be better and faster, I'd think.

Will it give "users everywhere" a reason to jump for joy? Or maybe just wedding videographers a reason?

Genuinely piques my interest. What could their unnamed video app do to make people everywhere so happy?

Right now I'd like it to cool my house. That's make me jump for joy.

Rob Mack
busterkeaton wrote on 7/26/2006, 7:11 PM
Seriously, if you are goign to give sneak peaks why not put it out there for all to see? At least give some idea of what to expect instead of letting your user base sit here and wait and guess what will be included.

The sneek peek is happening like a week or two before the general release.
It's a special bonus for folks who make the trek to Las Vegas.

One reason for the secrecy is that is prevent's Sony competitors from copy any innovation they may come up with or come with a way to disparage a new feature to the press, etc, etc.
Mahesh wrote on 7/27/2006, 4:11 AM
I hope it does not get any more bloated than V6. The SW struggles on my 2.7Gb with 1 Gb of memory. V5.0d worked fine. May be I should be upgrading my CPU speed to keep up with Vegas upgrades.
GlennChan wrote on 7/27/2006, 5:54 PM
Try upgrading your media manager by installing the Acid trial and uninstalling the Acid trial.

Or just disable media manager... it was hard to understand and took too much button pushing for my tastes. And the button pushing almost defeats the whole point of the media manager... which is to make you more productive.
bakerbud9 wrote on 7/27/2006, 8:51 PM
I had a similar experience with media manager. Also there was a conflict of some sort between media manager version my versions of ACID and Vegas. I would get error messages. Finally I just shut it off.
Mahesh wrote on 7/28/2006, 1:36 AM
Try upgrading your media manager by installing the Acid trial and uninstalling the Acid trial.
I have done both. The sw Loads fine but is very sluggish - much more so than V5.0d.
Current project: I have 8 A/V tracks. V5 on my computer worked okay with 60 minutes of footage. After that it became sluggish

In V6, it becomes sluggish from beginning. I have to seriously consider upgrading the PC ( 2.7GHz P4 1Gb memory)
Tattoo wrote on 8/25/2006, 12:39 AM
It's the evening of the 24th --- how'd the WEVA go? Any good looks at Vegas 7? Anything good at WEVA at all? Surprised we haven't heard anything on this forum.

Frustratingly enough, I happen to be in Vegas for business, but I don't have enough time to get down to Mandalay Bay and check it out. No hooky for me, unfortunately. And I'm living in Italy these days and haven't been to the States in over a year, so it's even more of a coincidence that I'm in the right town at the right time.

Brian
Kanst wrote on 8/25/2006, 12:51 AM
Can anybody sent me a new V7,DVDA4 manuals for starting it's russian translating (I'm from russian unofficial home users support team) before official shipping starst?
kanst@mediatory.ru
busterkeaton wrote on 8/25/2006, 2:11 AM
Kanst, You may want to contact Sony directly. They look at this board, but it's rare they would respond to a request like yours.

Right now Vegas 7 is still under wraps and even at the Sony Certification Tour last week the presenters were prohibited from talking about 7. They had to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement before getting access to Vegas 7.

You will probably have to sign the same type of agreement if they take you up on your offer.
p@mast3rs wrote on 8/25/2006, 3:46 AM
I am assuming WEVA attendees were told about Vegas 7 but were asked NOT to disclose anything on te forums or in public. I figured someone would be on here in a heartbeat to spill the beans about what they saw. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!
Kanst wrote on 8/25/2006, 6:49 AM
I'm only part of enthusiastic group, some of us not Vegas users (only technical translators, just like V5,6&DA2,3 russian interface creator), thus easely wait for official downloads.
Cliff Etzel wrote on 8/25/2006, 8:58 AM
Here's a solution for those wanting to upgrade the media manager without installing trial software. I downloaded the trial of Acid 6, ran the install process but just before the install began, I cancel it out. It leaves the uncompressed install files on your computer. Navigate to that folder and there will be one for the media manager. Just drop inside that folder and run the exec file for installing the media manager. You get an upgrade for media manager and no funkiness if you have an older verison of Acid installed (I still use AP4)

HTH,
Spot|DSE wrote on 8/25/2006, 9:07 AM
Given that WEVA only ended yesterday, give em' some time.
Tattoo wrote on 8/25/2006, 9:34 AM
Time? I didn't think that a public event like WEVA would end up being a hush-hush showing of VV7. I thought there was going to be a limited demo of some of the new features and that that information was going to be available to the public. Did Sony elect to not show VV7 at all, or did it show it but force everyone into a non-disclosure? Surely the non-disclosure wouldn't restrict folks from saying that, yes, it was shown ...

Tattoo wrote on 8/25/2006, 9:37 AM
Besides - the other part of my question had nothing to do with VV7. How was WEVA? Anything cool? I couldn't be there - what's the buzz? Surprised we haven't heard a single word.

Brian
Steve Mann wrote on 8/25/2006, 11:15 AM
"I am assuming WEVA attendees were told about Vegas 7 but were asked NOT to disclose anything on te forums or in public. I figured someone would be on here in a heartbeat to spill the beans about what they saw. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!"

Well, you would be wrong. I posted a review of what I saw of V7 and DVDA4 in this thread yesterday: "The Vegas 7 disappearing overview"

Steve M.
Steve Mann wrote on 8/25/2006, 11:18 AM
"I hope it does not get any more bloated than V6. The SW struggles on my 2.7Gb with 1 Gb of memory. V5.0d worked fine. May be I should be upgrading my CPU speed to keep up with Vegas upgrades."

Then you should refrain from asking for new features because every one of them adds to the program size and increases the risk of something going wrong. Adobe Premiere is a prime example of that - a bloated program that crashes with such reliability that the users accept it as a feature to remind them to back up their work frequently.

Steve M.
Coursedesign wrote on 8/25/2006, 12:07 PM
Premiere Pro 2.0 is far more solid than past versions.

I agree the previous versions were completely unacceptable.
bevross wrote on 8/25/2006, 12:09 PM
"I hope it does not get any more bloated than V6. The SW struggles on my 2.7Gb with 1 Gb of memory. V5.0d worked fine. "

Have you turned Media Manager off? I've got about the same specs and, so long as MM is off, it works about the same as V5.0d.
DavidMcKnight wrote on 8/25/2006, 1:16 PM
Geez ya'll, gimme some time to fly home, sleep, clean litter boxes, visit with Dad, etc....

That said, I'm surprised there weren't more forum members at WEVA. I just briefly met Glen Elliot while he was basking in a win for Philly, didn't get to ask him but I think he is more of a FCP user now.

Well...here's what I saw in a very short, very controlled presentation with Vegas 7:

- way faster render times in SD and HDV (presenter was using a dual core laptop and couldn't comment for the record, but my opinion was at least twice as fast).

- NATIVE editing of HDV m2t on the timeline, 29.97 framerate. At least two tracks. No hiccups, not one. I think proxies like GearShift will be unnecessary after this. (Sorry Spot) :)

- ability to draw envelope curves in real time during playback with the mouse or other device.

- Cinescore integrates as a plugin, as someone else has mentioned

- Lots more preference settings, layout settings, etc.

For me, speeding up render time is huge. Relatively speaking, it screamed. I wish I had had the opportunity to directly compare an avi render in 6 and 7, but I didn't. I can't wait to compare render times for the various render tests out there. Think about it...if you make the rendering on your cpu more effecient, then GPU coprocessing becomes less of an issue.

There was other stuff involving high-end updated hardware interface support, but frankly, it doesn't effect what I do one way or another so I didn't delve into it.

As far as weva itself goes, it was our first one, and I liked it overall. I learned quite a bit from most of the presentations I saw which made it worthwhile to me, but I have some personal issues with the moral fiber of at least one or two of the higher ups in the organization.