Export Targa Sequence?

Andrew B wrote on 4/23/2008, 2:03 AM
I just picked up some 3D software that allows you to import video...BUT it needs to be in sequential Targa images.
What a pain.
Does anyone have any idea if this is possible in Vegas? I don't think so, but I have been wrong before...a lot!
If not Vegas, then anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks!

Andrew

Comments

rs170a wrote on 4/23/2008, 3:03 AM
Export the sequence from Vegas in PNG format and use a batch converter (I like the one in IrfanView) to change to TGA.

Mike
UKAndrewC wrote on 4/23/2008, 5:57 AM
VirtualDub will do it if the original is AVI or FFMPEG if it's any other format

Andrew

rmack350 wrote on 4/23/2008, 9:57 AM
I'd start with Satish's frameserver which I think is at www.debugmode.com

It has a new feature to export still sequences but even if you don't like that it's also usefull for feeding a video stream out of Vegas to vdub. The advantage here is that you get uncompressed output without using any real disk space, and if you're feeding video to a third party app the workflow is a bit more efficient because you can import to the app at the same time you're exporting from Vegas.

I find scripted frame exporters that pull stills off the preview window to be a bit unsatisfactory, which is why I recommend the frame server. The image sequence feature is something that Satish just added last December and is a nice addition. And it's free.

Rob
johnmeyer wrote on 4/23/2008, 1:24 PM
Click on this link:

Vegas Targa Tutorial

and download the SWF file. Drop it on the title bar of your browser and it will play a tutorial showing you how to serve your video from Vegas to VirtualDub using the Debugmode Frameserver, and then output the result to TARGA files. Works perfectly.

Thanks to UKAndrewC for the basic idea.
Spot|DSE wrote on 4/23/2008, 1:58 PM
And you don't want to create them in Vegas itself?
Quicktime | TGA
rmack350 wrote on 4/23/2008, 2:11 PM
Have you tried it and had it work? I just get a .mov file. But I think I've frameserved out to quickitime and then Quicktime has made the image sequences. Just never been able to do it directly in Vegas.

Rob
Spot|DSE wrote on 4/23/2008, 2:51 PM
I don't use this feature, no. I serve png sequences when I need them, but...TruSpace does open these tga files in a .mov package.
rmack350 wrote on 4/23/2008, 4:28 PM
Ah, so it would work. I take it all the TGA files are wrapped in a mov wrapper? Seems confusing.

Rob
Spot|DSE wrote on 4/23/2008, 4:32 PM
That's all QT is, a wrapper for a lot of things. Just one big brown bag. OK, maybe not brown, more like Apple-white. ;-)
rmack350 wrote on 4/23/2008, 4:47 PM
heh :-)

But if you frameserve out to QT Pro, it'll make image sequences. Bags and bags full of individual TGA files.

Seems like the same output choice but a different result.

Rob
bakerja wrote on 4/24/2008, 11:55 AM
I have created them as .PNG then run a photoshop batch action to convert to targa files. Seems to work fine.

JAB
rmack350 wrote on 4/24/2008, 5:13 PM
Yep, that'd work fine. Good Idea JAB and rs170a.

Rob
Andrew B wrote on 4/27/2008, 1:49 PM
Thanks for all the GREAT ideas!

Andrew