Comments

JohnnyRoy wrote on 5/30/2011, 5:37 AM
Both you and they should install the free Avid DNxHD codec and render to that. It will also save you from the gamma shift that happens when going between Mac and PC. You can download the codec from the Avid web site.

~jr
Coursedesign wrote on 5/30/2011, 6:12 AM
DNxHD is a good alternative to ProRes, they both can be written on Macs and read on PCs.

The gamma is 2.2 on both Macs and PCs since two years, as long as the Macs are running Snow Leopard a.k.a. OS X 10.6.
newmediarules wrote on 5/30/2011, 7:27 AM
I've been searching for this answer for a week. I guess I should have phrased my inquiry more broadly =)

Thanks, Forum
Marc S wrote on 5/30/2011, 7:39 AM
Thank you. In regards to rendering out from Final Cut using the Avid codec, the guy helping me was having trouble figuring out how to do it. Should he use compressor or does he have to render from the FC timeline? He's more of a Vegas user.

Thanks, Marc
Coursedesign wrote on 5/30/2011, 12:52 PM
Use Compressor. More control.

It's OK to use a Reference file for input to the Compressor conversion, but the output going to Vegas must of course be Self-Contained.

There is often confusion between gamma issues and "RGB vs. YUV" codec issues.

This has to do with the interpretation, just like Vegas Computer RGB vs. Studio RGB.

Using DNxHD, there are some easy gotchas, like what to do with footage shot at frame rates that are seemingly not supported by DNxHD. Holler if that's the case.
corug7 wrote on 5/30/2011, 1:25 PM
Use Pro Res. Seriously. It imports easily and cuts easily as well. You may need to add the Computer to studio RGB filter from the Color Corrector, but otherwise you should see exactly what you see in FCP.

DNxHD is good but I always get Gamma shifts when working cross-platform.
Marc S wrote on 5/30/2011, 5:28 PM
Thanks everyone.
Laurence wrote on 5/30/2011, 6:01 PM
I thought you could read but not write Pro Res in Sony Vegas. Is that not correct?
Dave_OnSet wrote on 5/30/2011, 6:30 PM
AFAIK the mac folk only have made the prores 'read' codec available for use on PC's, so if you're running Vegas on a PC, you wouldn't be able to write prores.
Of course the original question was just trying to get some footage from FCP for use in Vegas, not trying to round-trip it back.
SuperG wrote on 5/30/2011, 7:13 PM
Must've been a barrel of fun for Apple programmers in the early days with FCP and a gamma of 1.8. Apple made their choice with a print oriented gamma long ago, but modern color-profiled devices and the ubuiquity of of the internet and its sRGB images finally relieved them of that notion.
Coursedesign wrote on 5/30/2011, 9:33 PM
Apple was behind MS in the earliest days of the internet, that is true (it made me switch from Mac to Windows at the time), but I think the 1.8 choice may possibly have had less to do with print than with the limitations of the CRTs of the day (on which the sRGB standard was based, btw). The same text & graphics shown on a Mac at that time just looked better for some reason.