Flac and wav files on large USB3 hard drives

Laurence wrote on 10/22/2014, 11:00 AM
I just ran into a new problem which I realize is an extension of an old problem.

I loaded up an old project where a customer wants me to swap out the picture of the front of their place with a new one with a new sign. This project exists in two places, an external 2TB USB3 drive, and another 5GB USB3 drive. When I loaded the project from the 5TB drive, the audio from a 15 second voiceover cuts out at the end. The format of the VO is wav.

What is unusual about this is that I had the same problem when I was using the 2TB drive, except that that was when I was using flac format audio. Converting the flac to wav fixed it on that drive. Now on the 5TB drive, I am also having this problem with wav format audio.

What this makes me realize is that the problem has something to do with audio on large external drives. Probably some sort of issue where the buffers aren't sufficient.

I know that if I copy the project to my internal drive, Vegas has no problem playing back either wav or flac format.

So what I'm running into is the following:

Internal drive: no problems with audio playback.
2TB external USB drive: problems with flac but not wav.
5TB external USB drive: problems with both flac and wav playback.

Does anyone have any insight into how I might fix this?

Comments

videoITguy wrote on 10/22/2014, 1:32 PM
This has been covered in dozens of posts over the years. I do not think it is a Vegas problem - but here are the real players: Firmware in USB 2 and 3, USB chipsets aboard the motherboard, and no less the drive size in combination of course with the Operating system.....
DavidMcKnight wrote on 10/22/2014, 2:43 PM
When I posted about it awhile back I came to the conclusion that it was Vegas, because the exact same files worked fine in other applications including SoundForge.
Laurence wrote on 10/22/2014, 3:14 PM
Same thing here. The audio files off the large USB drive work in everything but Vegas. There is no other software that gives me any issue whatsoever with this configuration.
Laurence wrote on 10/22/2014, 3:19 PM
So what do you guys do to get around this? I know I could just go back to using 1 or 1.5 terrabyte USB drives, but that seems kind of silly. Is that what we have to do if we want to work off USB3 drives?

Edit: That is I could go back to 1 or 1.5 terrabyte USB3 drives AND NOT USE FLAC AUDIO. To use flac, I would have to use even smaller USB3 drives (though I'm not sure what that size limit would be).
videoITguy wrote on 10/22/2014, 6:36 PM
It may be easy to certify anecdotal experience of the symptom in VegasPro - but in fact if it is just a device assignment issue or conflict with other devices aboard the platform install - can you not disconnect other devices for isolation. Many variables at play here.
DavidMcKnight wrote on 10/23/2014, 9:03 AM
Laurence - I no longer work with those drives, but when I did I would transcode the wav to flac and just use that.