Comments

Eugenia wrote on 10/8/2008, 12:29 PM
No, you don't export in FLV for Youtube. You export using the .mp4 template that specifically says that's for youtube. You then let youtube re-encode at FLV.
Osotosail wrote on 10/8/2008, 1:45 PM
OK, thanks.

What about import from .flv?
Eugenia wrote on 10/8/2008, 1:52 PM
Try it.
Osotosail wrote on 10/8/2008, 2:34 PM
I've tried it and I get an error mesage from Vegas "file can not be opened".
I've tried importing the file as it is and also tried renaming it as .swf

Is there some intermediate step to take in order to get a .flv file imported to Vegas?

I'd like to play with other videos for learning, and to spoof some spoofs.

Thanks.
Terry Esslinger wrote on 10/8/2008, 2:51 PM
Eugenia, correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it not too long ago that the preferred method for submission to utube was an flv so that they would not reencode it? I bought On2 for that purpose for that purpose but have switched over mainly to Vimeo since then.. Smaller audience but better quality IMO.
Eugenia wrote on 10/8/2008, 4:21 PM
No, that was never a preferred way. In fact, that was a hack, that had major problems. For example, playback would stall big time.
Osotosail wrote on 10/9/2008, 10:31 AM
Hi Eugenia,

I didn't success importing as swf, avi, or mp4. Is there a trick to it?
Eugenia wrote on 10/9/2008, 10:47 AM
SWF is probably not supported, although the other day there was someone here who said it was. AVI it depends if you have the appropriate codec installed (e.g. xvid decoder). For mp4 you need quicktime.
Osotosail wrote on 10/9/2008, 1:59 PM

Is flv supported?
Eugenia wrote on 10/9/2008, 2:52 PM
Jeez. Why people make such questions without having first try it themselves? What is so hard in download a flv file somewhere and dropping it into Vegas?

From what I know, no, it's not supported.
Osotosail wrote on 10/9/2008, 4:59 PM
Hi,

I'm very sorry for asking the noob question. And also for not being clear. Yes, I did try to import first and it didn't work in, including by trying to rename the file to a file extension of a possibly related format.

I was just checking to see if there was a work around or plug in. I'm surprised the Vegas can't import one of the most common formats on the web, but I'm new to video.
Eugenia wrote on 10/9/2008, 5:09 PM
FLVs are delivery formats, not editing formats. Never a person will be given a FLV to edit it. The only use case is for ripped youtube and other such online videos, and in that case that's piracy, and Vegas wouldn't allow that.

So, yes, FLV is a common format. But only for playback, not for editing. Feel free to whine at them why they don't *export* in FLV, but not why they are not editing it.
Osotosail wrote on 10/9/2008, 7:05 PM
Not seeking the ability to edit in .flv just looking to find if there was a way for Vegas to import the format. Obviously, the quality level of youtube videos is fairly low but your disdain for piracy of same is noted. I can only imagine how disturbing the ability of Vegas to import content from DVDs, CDs, MP4, and VHS tapes must be.

A discussion of fair use exception extends beyond the scope of this board, but can include study, personal use, parody, and news reporting. A perfect example is the main stream news medias use of pictures of one of Eliot Spitzer's call girls from her mySpace page, for which she was not compensated.

There is also the situation were an original publisher no longer has source materials either for a variety of reasons, or where a user wants to make some goofy edits to a friends postings, in good fun of course.

I have searched and read many posts prior to asking my own questions. My very recent entry to this forum shows your contributions to be frequent and valuable.

I'm not as surprised that you would waste come to a hasty and false assumption as to another user's motives as that you would publicly accuse another person of wilfull illegal intent as well as post advice, which in retrospect, was apparantly intended to be unhelpful and insincere.

I'll just blame it on Barnie Frank and Fannie and Freddie.

Please continue your otherwise wonderful forum presence, and once again accept my apology.