Footswitch for punch in?

farss wrote on 1/20/2010, 3:23 AM
First time ever I've had to punch in a recording was a few days ago. It worked well enough just using the mouse to click the record icon but I think a footswitch I could have given to the muso would have been a better solution.

Is it possible to get one into Vegas easily?

I have spare MIDI port, looking for some basic way to do this, I can make my own footswitch just don't know how to interface it back into the system.

Bob.

Comments

jbolley wrote on 1/20/2010, 1:49 PM
good luck. I use [ctrl] R.
another method would be to get an inexpensive interface that is supported in vegas.
Please let us know what you discover...
Jesse
SonyMLogan wrote on 1/20/2010, 2:32 PM
For about 50 bucks you can put together a device that lets you plug-in a cheap footswitch and sends a MIDI message that you can map to record when the footswitch is pressed. One of our SQA guys built one to trigger a sequence on a synthesizer over its MIDI input during live performances.

I think the synth trigger project was done on an Arduino, but there are several choices out there and many websites dedicated to projects with these devices.
Geoff_Wood wrote on 1/20/2010, 7:36 PM
Could pick up a 'cheap' BCF2000 off ebay .....

geoff
farss wrote on 1/20/2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks for all the input.
A Google did find a few DIY projects, must have been using the wrong words before. Then again for all the time involved a used BCF2000 might be cheaper.

Bob.
pwppch wrote on 1/22/2010, 10:05 AM
Do you have a MIDI keyboard or other control device?

Most have foot switch inputs.

You could then set up the generic surface control driver to use the footswitch input to trigger punch in/out.

Peter
musicvid10 wrote on 1/22/2010, 10:26 AM
Rigging up an "easy button" like the networks use will give you a lot more precision and speed than a footswitch, that is unless you're a NASCAR driver.
;?)
richard-amirault wrote on 2/24/2010, 11:10 AM
Something like the ShuttleXpress or ShuttlePro have buttons that can be re-programmed to any hot-key function ... like Ctrl-R It has a USB interface and may be long enough to reach your talent .. or you can add an extension.
farss wrote on 2/24/2010, 4:16 PM
That does seem to be the easiest way, when I've got some time I'll hack one of my Shuttles.

Bob.

Geoff_Wood wrote on 2/25/2010, 6:04 PM
Of course if you know exactly WHERE you want to punch in, the regular approach is easiest. split each side of the punch region, select that region, arm the track, wind back a bit and hit Record !

geoff