free upgrade to version 5?

dogwalker wrote on 4/22/2008, 3:36 PM
I've been away a while, haven't used DVDA in an even longer while. I have Vegas Pro 8 and DVDA 4.5 (came with Pro). I just read a comment in another forum that there's a free upgrade to DVD 5? I'm at work, so I'll fire up DVDA when i get home and see if anything pops up.

But in case it doesn't, how do we get the upgrade? I just clicked on "My Software" and then clicked on the "Download" box next to DVD 4.5, and all it showed were upgrades to 4.5 (and I'm behind on those), nothing about DVDA 5.

thanks

Comments

Terje wrote on 4/22/2008, 4:05 PM
You wait until it becomes June, then you go to sonycreateivesoftware.com and download it.
bStro wrote on 4/22/2008, 4:51 PM
Here's the press release announcing DVDA5. It's due for release in "mid-June."

Rob
dogwalker wrote on 4/22/2008, 7:17 PM
ah, thanks! Sounds great!
John_Cline wrote on 4/23/2008, 1:13 AM
You can also sign up for e-mail notification of the release at:

www.sonycreativesoftware.com/DVD5
TOG62 wrote on 4/23/2008, 3:47 AM
Does anyone know if any of this applies to the Studio version?

Mike
dogwalker wrote on 4/24/2008, 2:28 PM
Thanks, John C - I just signed up!
Nobody wrote on 4/27/2008, 8:46 AM
"Does anyone know if any of this applies to the Studio version?"

Per the press release:
"...DVD Architect 5 software will be available as a free downloadable upgrade to all registered Vegas Pro 8 users..."

I believe this applies to Pro 8 only.
warriorking wrote on 4/27/2008, 7:18 PM
Any news on whether the 64Bit version of Vegas will be available as a free upgrade as well...
kiett_2000 wrote on 5/1/2008, 11:56 AM
I hope this also applies to people who owns Vegas 8.0 Platinum Edition. I was hoping I could burn my home videos into blu-ray without the premium price.
bStro wrote on 5/1/2008, 4:26 PM
Vegas Platinum is a Studio product, so no, the DVDA Pro upgrade does not apply to Vegas Platinum licenses.

Rob
Terje wrote on 5/1/2008, 4:48 PM
On the other hand, Sony has typically had "feature" parity between the two products on the big features, but the Studio products have been able to do basically similar things to the full product, but with less control with the details. I'd be surprised of the Studio version, whenever it is upgraded, will not come with Blu-Ray authoring capabilities similar to it's DVD authoring capabilities now. Basic menus, no BD-J etc.
GeorgeW wrote on 5/1/2008, 4:58 PM
Per the press release:
"...DVD Architect 5 software will be available as a free downloadable upgrade to all registered Vegas Pro 8 users..."

I have seen the option to purchase Sony Vegas Pro 8 (CD Only) from a respectable seller. I don't think the version they sell comes with DVD Architect (i.e. it is just the Editor). Based on the above quote from the press release, would that version of Sony Pro 8 be eligible for the free DVD Architect upgrade?
warriorking wrote on 5/1/2008, 8:52 PM
Probably not, since both Vegas and DVD Architect pro have to be registered seperately....
Nobody wrote on 5/3/2008, 11:58 AM
I was under the impression that you could not purchase (legitimately) Vegas Pro 8 without DVDA. I would double-check with that dealer to see exactly what you would be getting.
bStro wrote on 5/3/2008, 3:40 PM
You can't buy it from Sony that way, but apparently there is a "special" DVDA-less package sold by several online retailers including B&H Photo and Amazon.com. Also, Vegas 8 Pro (by itself) is bundled with some video cameras.

Rob