Comments

Steve Mann wrote on 4/8/2014, 11:56 AM
No
Maybe
Dan Sherman wrote on 4/8/2014, 12:44 PM
So here's the thing.
Clip is clear as can be on one timeline. Mini DV .avi.
I drag it onto the TL where I'm editing and it looks very bad,---totally soft and blurry.
Pretty much unusable.
Any thoughts appreciated.
videoITguy wrote on 4/8/2014, 12:45 PM
Fx on preview output - what are you using to do an 'external' preview?
For that matter what is preview setting - best ? please?
rmack350 wrote on 4/8/2014, 1:17 PM
So here's the thing....

The info you're giving is kind of vague, so here's a list of things that make things blurry.

-- Reversed field order of interlaced footage
-- a blur filter
-- Using Track Motion to resize a clip
-- Preview window set to draft

That's what comes to mind. The first one seems most likely.

Rob
larry-peter wrote on 4/8/2014, 1:22 PM
Also check the project settings of the new project. Is it set to DV or D-1? I've made that mistake. DV footage in an NTSC 720 X 486 project with fields set to "blend" can look very soft too.
dxdy wrote on 4/8/2014, 2:21 PM
I recently had some customer supplied footage at 720x486. What do you find is the best way to resize it to 720x480? I used pan crop on each event.
Chienworks wrote on 4/8/2014, 2:48 PM
Would definitely go with pan/crop. You might lose 6 pixels, but chances are those pixels were empty of any meaningful image anyway. The important thing with interlaced DV is to map the vertical lines from the input to match the output, thereby avoiding any interlace resizing problems.
dxdy wrote on 4/8/2014, 3:02 PM
Thank you.
Dan Sherman wrote on 4/9/2014, 7:47 PM
No, none of that,
I don't know what's going on.
HD footage renders fine as always.
Haven't worked with SD footage for several years, so maybe I've forgotten something in the process.
No sense getting old if you don't get stupid.
They just go together so well, don't they?
Laurence wrote on 4/9/2014, 8:36 PM
>I recently had some customer supplied footage at 720x486. What do you find is the best way to resize it to 720x480? I used pan crop on each event.]

I would be really careful about that. The footage is likely interlaced and the interlace pattern is the most important thing. I would check movement and see if the interlace comb is on the proper odd and even lines. If it is, then you can just crop the extra six lines wherever it looks best. If the interlace is messed up... well, good luck fixing that.