Comments

kkolbo wrote on 5/11/2011, 4:25 PM
I have looked at and worked with the footage. Clearly the shooting crew should be strung up by their toes if this was supposed to be a chroma key job. Either that or they need a real education. That said....

The footage can be used but it is a rotoscoping job not a chroma key. Then the top surfaces of the speakers and monitor will have to be replaced; particularly the Bose units. There are places where there is no color or luminance difference between the surface and the background. It will have to be estimated by the human eye and created.

If that is the low rez clip (1920x1080), what is the hirez? Is it 2K?

At 1080, you are looking at 5-8 hours work. I don't know anyone who will do the whole 1080 clip as a demo for you to be paid for a 2K.

Delivery would not be an AE or a Vegas file. Delivery would be an uncompressed with Alpha or a QT animation with Alpha. 4 Secs of 2K will be a large flash drive or such.

KK
JHendrix wrote on 5/11/2011, 5:32 PM
sorry about the vague info...just really busy.

its just canon footage - m2t

Streams
Video: 00:11:35.995, 29.970 fps progressive, 1440x1080x12, MPEG-2
Audio: 00:11:35.995, 48,000 Hz, Stereo, MPEG Layer 2

i am not expecting someone to provide a full finished product but i don't hire unless i see "something"

most people who say they can do stuff really cant - if you know what i mean.

if you are interested contact me directly and show me something - (after all - it is 4 seconds) go ahead and watermark it if you want, I am not trying to get anything for free - just have to have top qual.

if you are concerned about working and not being accepted and thus not paid - contact me directly and discuss your rate

JHendrix wrote on 5/11/2011, 6:01 PM
by the way...why not ae?

robwood wrote on 5/11/2011, 6:32 PM
"by the way...why not ae?"
i think he meant the associated project file (*.aep or *.veg for instance) wasn't needed,
just the render of the image-sequence / QuickTime / etc.

"There are places where there is no color or luminance difference between the

wow; reminds me of a video I saw on YouTube last fall (couple minutes in)

JHendrix wrote on 5/11/2011, 6:57 PM

i think he meant the associated project file (*.aep or *.veg for instance) wasn't needed,
just the render of the image-sequence / QuickTime / etc.

if that is the case then its backwards...i was requesting session files at project end.
kkolbo wrote on 5/11/2011, 8:28 PM

OK, well I did a 15 frame sample and the surface replacement wasn't that bad to do. The roto is a pain and time consuming because it has to made up as it goes along.

I can't do the job because I am booked until the weekend and you need it now. If you are looking for project files instead of the final I think you will be disappointed because the roto work will not translate to other files etc. I don't deliver raw project files anyway. That is for other houses to do.

JHendrix,

I was trying to help you get someone by figuring out the particulars. You were not clear about the task, the format and the deliverable items. Based on my evaluation and you additional information, at least now you can post:

Needed:: rotoscope, and surface replacement on four seconds of moving HD material, 1080p, with raw project files and completed keyed footage delivered by the contractor. Acceptable applications for the project files are AE and Vegas Pro 9. A ten consecutive frame sample of the work is required to evaluate the potential outcome before a contract will be let. The camera footage for the task is located at ....

That will probably get you more qualified responses in the time you need.

farss wrote on 5/11/2011, 8:31 PM
The easy part would be removing the "screen", that's a simple enough tedious masking job.
The green spill onto reflective surfaces reveals a profound problem. You'd probably want to replace those elements, the green spill is so bad I doubt it could be graded out for one thing. The real issue I see to get a final composite that's going to look real is whatever replaces the screen should also be reflected by those surfaces.
Also as the camera moves the replacement background needs to match move as well.
I guess one could deliver what's wanted and take the money and run.

Bob.
JHendrix wrote on 5/11/2011, 9:24 PM
hey guys, thanks for the feedback

"Needed:: rotoscope, and surface replacement on four seconds of moving HD material, 1080p, with raw project files and completed keyed footage delivered by the contractor. Acceptable applications for the project files are AE and Vegas Pro 9. A ten consecutive frame sample of the work is required to evaluate the potential outcome before a contract will be let. The camera footage for the task is located at ...."

OK well that works too

I guess i assumed you could call it or do whatever you want. If i did it myself I would try masks but that's just because i have never really done rotoscope except in an app that prolly does not even exist anymore. that ae tut makes it look pretty easy though. but as in all things like this...of course there would be some challenges

anyhow, time/deadline is not that big of a deal. but as i do media myself and the only reason I am trying to outsource this 4 second clip is because i am swamped - given all that, I could never pay and not get project files...then no way I could learn.

so the new location is here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=13MIT57R

jon

@

s205480013.onlinehome

dot

us

kkolbo wrote on 5/12/2011, 11:19 AM

>>>The easy part would be removing the "screen", that's a simple enough tedious masking job. <<<<<

Tedious, not hard. That is the case. I found because of the changing geometry of the speaker tops with the crane down that it was an every two frame task. The roto work is a point by point masking job with curves for the speaker corners (arg).

>>>
The green spill onto reflective surfaces reveals a profound problem. You'd probably want to replace those elements, the green spill is so bad I doubt it could be graded out for one thing. The real issue I see to get a final composite that's going to look real is whatever replaces the screen should also be reflected by those surfaces. <<<

Actually I expected it to be a pain. It wasn't. Taking the masked layer, then chroma keying the spill on the tops gave a great surface with a gray solid behind it. Putting a vertically flipped copy of the replaced background behind the gray solid and adjusting the transparency of the gray produced a light wrap look to it and it was very believable.

>>>Also as the camera moves the replacement background needs to match move as well. <<<

The match move is cake. The two Bose logos on the little monitors are far enough back and track perfectly; 5 minutes of work. The frame by frame masking is where the hours and hours are to make it perfect without wobble etc. Yuk.

The reason I do not deliver project files with contract work is because the client wants to learn from them or reuse them and then there are support issues of calls and emails about the project set up. The project file has to be laid out perfectly for support as if it it were a product. I guess for double the rate, but otherwise I just do not have that much time.

I am sure JHendrix has found a taker by now. Lots of hungry folks out there right now.

KK

Laurence wrote on 5/12/2011, 11:23 AM
It looks like this clip was generated from a couple of still photos. It would have made sense to cut the green before animating the layers.
farss wrote on 5/12/2011, 2:57 PM
>>The match move is cake. The two Bose logos on the little monitors are far enough back and track perfectly; 5 minutes of work. The frame by frame masking is where the hours and hours are to make it perfect without wobble etc. Yuk.<<

What I was refering to was what goes in place of the screen. Assume a studio seen through a framed window. The perspective of the studio needs to track the camera move.

For me the real problem quoting this kind of job is by the time you really know how long it'll take you've done most of the work anyway. Probably not so much of an issue if it's your daily fare of course.

Bob.