HD capture - newbie

Woodenmike wrote on 2/23/2010, 3:52 PM
I received some tapes of interviews from a photographer out of state who shot them on a Canon vixia HD40. I have only shot SD in the past and have not had to capture HD footage from tape before...when i put the tapes into my friend's Canon XHA1, i can play them back with no problem, but when we try to capture the footage into Vegas (8c AND/OR 9c) we get nothing coming through...i can control the camera functions with the capture program, but no audio or video. what settings am i missing? My friends camera is saying the footage is hd 1080-60i.

Comments

Steve Mann wrote on 2/23/2010, 4:48 PM
Find "hdvsplit". It's a free program that captures HDV over Firewire.
Woodenmike wrote on 2/23/2010, 5:58 PM
Any idea why I can't capture as per "normal" with the Sony capture program? If we run footage shot on that camera, everything shows up fine in the capture program, it's just something about these three tapes...i keep feeling it is a camera setting or a program setting that i am missing.
smashguy37 wrote on 2/23/2010, 6:21 PM
Go to Preferences > Video and uncheck the box that says "Use an external capture application" and click OK. Then proceed to File > Capture as you normally would and it should bring up a slightly different capture windows that should read your XH A1. That is what I do when I borrow a XH A1 from work to capture HDV.

Hope that helps.
Woodenmike wrote on 2/24/2010, 3:58 PM
Smashguy, thanks, I'll try that and let you know if that does the trick or not.
Woodenmike wrote on 3/25/2010, 6:34 PM
Smashguy,
I finally got around to doing this capture...your advice was spot on! Folks on this forum are better than all the help files put together for this program! thanks again!
Tattoo wrote on 3/25/2010, 10:08 PM
Wood-

A lot of folks have had issues with the HD capture built in to Vegas. While it appears to capture okay, there may be some black frames. I run 8c & had this issue. If I remember, the first 2-3 frames of each scene (except the very first) were black. Seemed like something else was wrong, too, like the audio being slightly out of sync, but I can't recall. It was like Vegas had a hard time splitting up the scenes correctly with the compression associated with HDV. Maybe turning scene detection off would have fixed this. Dunno, I got fed up & switched to HDV Split. If Vegas capture works perfect for you--great. If not, run to HDV Split!

You'll have to do a search on it to figure out how to set it up (someone wrote an awesome post here about 2.5 years ago, but I forget who). It's a free program. I used the recommended 2 pass method (one pass to capture from tape into one big file & a second pass on the file to split it into scenes. Sounds complicated, but it's not and that second pass is super-quick.).

Brian
willqen wrote on 3/26/2010, 3:32 AM
I've used HDV capture inside Vegas9.0c with no problems!