Comments

JJKizak wrote on 11/18/2008, 4:26 PM
Render Bluray direct from the Vegas timeline.
JJK
Terry Esslinger wrote on 11/19/2008, 11:25 AM
Ihave been told (on another forum) that you can just use a standard DVD burner to burn it ... but of couse you need a blu ray player to view it. Any comments on this?
blink3times wrote on 11/19/2008, 11:38 AM
Yes, this is true. You can get about 30 minutes avchd on a single layer disk (at full quality), 20 minutes for mpeg2 and you can double that time for a double layer disk. With the avchd disks you can even use menus (which will not work with mpeg2 disks) For all intents and purposes you can consider a avchd disk the same as a blu ray disk except they're read by red laser instead of blue and they're obviously shorter on time.

XP will burn the disks, but you will not be able to read them back because they're burned as UDF 2.5 or 2.6. Vista however has the udf drivers so you can read back the disks in your machine.

The programs that will create avchd disks are:
Vegas pro
Vegas Platinum
Ulead movie factory
Ulead video studio
Pinnacle studio
Nero...
and a few others

These disks will work in most (if not all) players now, but the PS3 remains the most reliable. You can also play them back on your computer but you need the proper player (nero for example) and you need the udf drivers.
nolonemo wrote on 11/19/2008, 1:07 PM
I have authored BD to DVDR by creating a BD iso in DVDA and then burning the ISO to DVDR using Nero. I have created BD disks with menu structures using this method, that play back find in a HTPC using Power DVD and a BD-ROM drive. I have not tried to play them in a set-top player.
Note that if you author any HD content to DVDR, you must use premium media (think Taiyo Yuden). Cheap media will stutter on playback.