Comments

B_JM wrote on 2/3/2005, 10:36 PM
run it through virtualdubmod and use the "unfold" setting in the deinterlace filter ..

each frame will be split into a side by side progressive frame with each field on each side of the new wide image ..

you can split this - or use as is and crop in vegas for each half (2 tracks - track 1, top and track 2 bottom field) ..

you will need to adjust one of the tracks up (or down) to match the other ....

all of the above can be done in virtualdubmod or avisynth with superb quality - or you can do part in one of them and finish it in vegas ..
Spot|DSE wrote on 2/3/2005, 11:36 PM
I've not tried this in Vdub, so I'll leave that to the king of frameserving. (BJ_M)
But you can also do this just in Vegas itself. Just set the properties of the project to progressive, and use Blend Fields for best results.
I don't know how the final output will compare to Vdub, but it will look pretty good in Vegas.
B_JM wrote on 2/3/2005, 11:50 PM
it is 'good' in vegas , it is sharper splitting the frames with v-dub .. sometimes you want one look and other times another look .... doing it in vegs will be a softer look as you are mixing two fields with different pixel position on each ... this is not always a bad thing ....
vectorskink wrote on 2/4/2005, 3:20 AM
Thanks guys for your help.

Rob Lohman from DVinfo has suggested this workflow.....

I assume you want to do slow motion? Start a 25p (!) project and

What do you think?
Spot|DSE wrote on 2/4/2005, 7:08 AM
I don't know how slo mo all of a sudden popped into the equation, but using the right-click vs dragging to desired speed only offers the difference of having a numeric value vs a WAG.
Rob's right, (btw, it's a violation of DVInfo.nets rules to copy/paste their posts)
You will want to reduce interlace flicker as well. I'm on a slow dialup, or I'd search out my post on good slo mo recipe. It's here, somewhere. I'll be home later today.
vectorskink wrote on 2/5/2005, 1:18 AM
Oooops about the DVinfo posts!! I'll remember for next time. Thanks.
Sorry, I guess I should of explained that the aim of doing this was slowing the resulting 50fps back down to 25fps for a nice slow mo. Is this a round-about way of doing it? Will the velocity envelope produce the same quality? Am I wasting my time doing it Rob's way?

cheers
Tim
vectorskink wrote on 2/6/2005, 6:19 PM
anyone?
Spot|DSE wrote on 2/6/2005, 6:21 PM
Actually, you'll not get a good slo mo at 25fps....make the slomo at 50, THEN convert it to P.
vectorskink wrote on 2/6/2005, 6:45 PM
Hi Spot. Thanks for your reply.
Do you mean 50i or 50fps?
I basically want to convert normal 50i fields to frames. This should give me normal motion at 50fps progressive. Slow it down to 25fps progressive and I should have a nice slow mo? Yes? No? I've seen it done to nice effect, I am just wondering HOW I can do it.
Starting with HDV should yield some nice images after downconverting to DV.
Thanks
Tim
B_JM wrote on 2/7/2005, 6:10 AM
going around in circles .. the answer to that question is above ...