Help getting rid of "hiss"

Distorshun wrote on 1/28/2007, 5:09 PM
Hey guys, I searched some topics on this, but didn't really find how to do what I want to do...here is my problem.

I recorded some people answering interview questions, and I'm laying some music into the background...however, I noticed that my recorded audio track has an annoying hiss to it. I know almost nothing about audio, so I don't know what settings in the EQ I want to go with to get rid of the hiss. Can anyone tell me what settings I need to mess with in order to eliminate or seriously decrease the hiss without messing up the recorded voices? I know that having background music helps, but the hiss is still pretty noticeable. (Buying additional audio software is out of the questions at this time).

Thanks!!!

Comments

newhope wrote on 1/28/2007, 6:02 PM
You can start by selecting 'shelf' EQ above 10KHz. Select the track EQ and try Band 4 which should be set to a high frequency shelf. Try dragging it down about 5dB to start with and dragging it left so that the frequency is 10,000Hz (10KHz). Listen to the track and adjust the frequency down, or up, so that you haven't impacted on the voice material but have reduced the hiss. Similarly you can adjust the amount of reduction to more or less than 5dB to suit.
It's just a case of adjust then listen. You might also want to boost a couple of dB around 1.5KHz with band 3 set to a 'bell' curve to add more presence to the voice if needed.

This info is all ball park but should give you a starting point.

Regards
Stephen Hope
JeffreyPFisher wrote on 2/6/2007, 5:07 PM
And if the EQ doesn't do the job, you might need to try the Sony Noise Reduction plug-in which can work wonders on hiss.

-- JPF