Hi Def question

fjannotta wrote on 4/18/2010, 4:10 PM
I have used VMS for several years, most recently using version 9 Platinum pro pack. I like the program.
I have always shot and edited in standard def, but am now planning on buying a hi def camera. In looking over the posts on this forum it seems as though a lot of people are having trouble editing in hi def on VMS. If I plan to use hi-def on my new camera, is VMS Plat. Pro up to the task of editing the footage? Am I better off using a different (non pro version) software? Or are the specs on my computer the more relevant factor?
Thanks for your input.
Frank

Comments

Eugenia wrote on 4/18/2010, 11:30 PM
You are not mentioning the specs of your PC, so we can't answer your last question. But if you have a Dual Core 2.4 Ghz with 3 GB of RAM or more, you're fine with AVCHD.

As for AVCHD, I assume that's the kind of camera you're getting, it will work with Platinum 9. You don't really need the Pro Pack. Just plain Platinum 9.

However, if you're looking into getting an HD dSLR camera, then you need Cineform or AVID DNxHD to edit, as that format is much slower than "normal" HD, e..g AVCHD.
richard-amirault wrote on 4/19/2010, 5:29 AM
And then there is the question of what will you *do* with the edited footage? Convert it down to Standard Def for DVD or buy a BlueRay burner?
david_f_knight wrote on 4/19/2010, 3:11 PM
There are other options in addition to standard def DVDs and high def Blu-rays, such as AVCHD DVDs (high def without a Blu-ray writer or expensive media), or forgoing optical media altogether.
gogiants wrote on 4/20/2010, 10:42 PM
Here's my take: Vegas can handle the AVCHD, so yes, the more relevant question will be the specs on your PC.

Eugenia : Your opinion on this topics is well respected: You mentioned a dual-core at 2.4 GHz being able to handle AVCHD. I'd be curious to hear more! My dual-core 2.0 GHz is unusable for native AVCHD 720p at 60fps. Even when using proxy files at DVD widescreen resolution things slow way down with 2-3 tracks and nothing much more than crossfades in terms of effects. If I jump up to 2.4 GHz do you think I'd see a noticeable improvement?

My reference point is fps performance in the preview window... by "unusable" I mean fps at 7-12 fps in the preview window..
Eugenia wrote on 4/20/2010, 11:39 PM
I'm using Quad Core Duo 2.4 Ghz, and 1080/60i AVCHD is real time when using the previewing speed tips as found on my blog.
gogiants wrote on 4/21/2010, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the reply! I just tried all your tips for preview and I'm seeing roughly 20 fps on my preview window with 720p footage. I have a dual core Duo 2.0 Ghz processor.

In your opinion, would the jump to a 2.4 Ghz quad core make enough difference to enable real time preview rates? And based on your blog I'm guessing that you're getting real time with cuts-only and not with any effects?
Eugenia wrote on 4/21/2010, 2:52 PM
I can not tell you that a 2.4 Ghz PC will do real time, because different PCs are using different motherboards, different RAM speeds, different settings, graphics cards, OS optimizations etc etc. But in my experience, with my DELL *quad* core PC, it's managing fine. But remember, I'm using 1080/60i, not 720/60p. There's a difference there, and how Vegas works with more than usual "real" frames, even if the resolution is lower.

And of course, this is cuts-only. Most effects are never real time, no matter what PC you're using.