High pitch noise

MikeLV wrote on 3/18/2021, 6:42 PM

I've got this high pitch noise on both audio channels. Tried to eliminate with the noise gate fx but it didn't work. Any idea how I can get rid of this and not effect the music on the channels? Thank you.

Comments

Dexcon wrote on 3/18/2021, 7:38 PM

Using SpectraLayers Pro 7, the 2nd audio example displays as:

The high pitched tone is not just one frequency but consists of many harmonics (the multiple horizontal lines) at about each 1k Hz starting at 1k Hz.

SpectraLayers Pro has a Harmonics selection tool that can highlight all the harmonics and then its a case of simply deleting that selection.

It is that easy in the areas of silence. But things get more complicated where there is music because the harmonics selection tool gets confused by the music and incorrectly assumes that some of the music is part of the noise harmonics and the tool wanders off to highlight higher slightly higher frequencies than the noise frequency, especially for the 1k, 2k and 3k noise harmonics. The harmonics tool works fine for 4k and above, but it would probably be better to judiciously edit out bit-by-bit the noise tone using the hand selection tool within the music's frequency range.

An alternative is just to highlight the noise frequency across the entire track and then delete it - but this will also remove that small frequency range from the music as well.

iZotope's RX Standard or Advanced can also do much the same.

I am not sure how using an EQ plugin will work because the noise is audible certainly at 1k, 2k 3k and 4k - and possibly higher depending on one's hearing. Using EQ would likely mean having to create deep volume troughs at those frequencies, and that would also take out those frequencies for the music as well.

Of course, it would be worthwhile experimenting with the Noise Reduction plugin in Vegas Pro (I think this only appears in Vegas Pro if it has been installed with a Sound Forge Pro installation). Another approach is to simply remove the noise from the areas of silence and leave it in the music if you are happy that the music's volume drowns out the noise sufficiently so that the noise isn't apparent to the listener.

Come what may, the fact that the noise is not a single frequency but a range of harmonics makes this a bit of a challenge.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

MikeLV wrote on 3/19/2021, 8:31 AM

😬😬😬 Sounds like I might be stuck with the noise on this one. This is a new noise in the system that I need to troubleshoot, no idea what it is or where it's coming from at the moment, it's very bizarre! I'll take a look at the noise reduction plugin, although I don't have sound forge..

Dexcon wrote on 3/19/2021, 8:51 AM

@MikeLV  ... you're best bet then might be to split the audio track between the music instances and reduce the volume in between them to zero so that the noise is not apparent between the music instances.

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

MikeLV wrote on 3/19/2021, 8:56 AM

Right, there's also a talking section, which maybe I can eliminate it in hopefully, we'll see, thank you for your help though!

rraud wrote on 3/19/2021, 9:59 AM

Steinberg SpectraLayers or iZotope RX would be the 'best' tools for this. If you have Sound Forge Pro, the legacy NR 2.0 noise reduction can attenuate it. The later Magix SFP versions, include RX Elements. The current SF Pro 14 and 15 suite includes SpectraLayers Pro.
FYI, when SF Pro is included with VP, the third-party plug-ins are not included

Erkki wrote on 3/19/2021, 11:29 AM

Maybe one more tool recommendation. I have been using good old Goldwave instead of Sound Forge. I usually use it when some reason I have forgot set mic record level properly and when adding gain floor noise becomes audible. Not sure if this is suitable for your use case.

Dexcon wrote on 3/19/2021, 6:58 PM

@MikeLV  ... just a suggestion. Try the Noise Reduction tool in Audacity (free) https://www.audacityteam.org/ - it seems to do quite a nice job of getting rid of the noise. Of course, you will need to decide if any impact it may have on the music and voice sequences is acceptable or not.

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

MikeLV wrote on 3/20/2021, 10:43 AM

@Dexcon I just installed Audacity. I tried to drag and drop my .mts file but it said I couldn't do that. I tried importing as raw data, but it's just all static. Is there a guide you recommend for using audacity to try and fix the audio? Do I need to encode the audio to wav first from Vegas and import that into Audacity? Worried about things getting out of sync.

Former user wrote on 3/20/2021, 11:11 AM

As long as you keep the same sample rate and bit rate, and do not alter the length of the wav file, it will stay in sync.

rraud wrote on 3/20/2021, 11:37 AM

As long as you keep the same sample rate and bit rate, and do not alter the length of the wav file, it will stay in sync.

Sample rate yes.
Bit rate
does not affect speed/pitch/sync and is not user set parameter for PCM files. Bit depth would not affect speed/pitch/sync either and is best not to convert it in most cases.

MikeLV wrote on 3/20/2021, 11:50 AM

I'm playing around with it. I think the noise reduction might work; it's worked so far on the backing track, I have to test it on the guitar track, and the voice still.. But one thing I'm not pleased about is there seems to be a drastic reduction in volume when I open the audio in audacity, or maybe the volume is lost when encoding the wave file from Vegas, not sure, but I'd rather have less volume than that awful noise..

MikeLV wrote on 3/20/2021, 12:29 PM

@Dexcon, I finally got the hang of Audacity noise reduction and it's working quite well; I'm very surprised! Working well enough that I can get this video done. Thanks again for the suggestion!

Dexcon wrote on 3/21/2021, 6:21 AM

@MikeLV  ... thank you for the feedback. I am very happy that it has worked for you. And yes, I am equally surprised and impressed how well Audacity's noise reduction worked particularly in this case. What's even better - you have the original audio files, not the compressed copy that uploads to the forum.

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

MikeLV wrote on 3/21/2021, 10:26 AM

The even better news is that I accidentally discovered the source of the noise, well narrowed it down anyways. It's this computer! When the computer is off, or asleep, no noise in the audio system. When it's on, noise! It's very bizarre, as I've had this same setup for years and this mysterious noise just happens to show up now. At least I know it's not the mixer, camera or other audio gear so troubleshooting won't be as tedious..