How can I change rendering to "upper fields first"?

Skywatcher wrote on 2/6/2004, 8:02 PM
I am using an ATI Radeon 8500 capture card. I capture analog video. Everyone knows that ATI is backwards in their field order. DVDA renders in lower fields first (I'm assuming). My DVD's are jittery and un-stable. Is there a way to change the "Field" settings??

thanks guys...

Comments

johnmeyer wrote on 2/6/2004, 11:20 PM
If you render in Vegas, this is easy to do: just click on the Custom button just before rendering. You'll find the field order control in the video tab.
Skywatcher wrote on 2/7/2004, 3:42 AM
Thanks John,

So, you are telling me that, when DVDA "Prepares and Burns", it is getting it's settings from Vegas??

Or, should I render first in Vegas. DVDA says it is rendering the project so I assumed it is rendering it again. If this is the case then DVDA's render settings are based on those of vegas...seems simple enough!

I'll give it a try.

Thanks again John for your quick responses.
johnmeyer wrote on 2/7/2004, 11:56 AM
So, you are telling me that, when DVDA "Prepares and Burns", it is getting it's settings from Vegas??

No, it doesn't get it settings from Vegas. What I'm recommending is that you render first in Vegas, and then import the resulting MPEG and AC3 files into DVDA. In Vegas, you have to render MPEG2 using the DVD Architect template (which doesn't render any audio). You then render, as a separate render, the audio, using the AC3 Stereo template. Give the audio and video renders the exact same file name, put them in the same directory, and DVDA will automatically combine them together.

It is pretty stupid to have to do separate renders (actually it is beyond stupid -- who ever heard of such a thing??), but that is the way it is done. Sony has recommended, in several posts, to do the rendering in Vegas, not in DVDA, mostly because it speeds the workflow if you want to make changes in your DVDA project (i.e., you can make changes in DVDA without having to re-render any video or audio).
Skywatcher wrote on 2/8/2004, 12:18 AM
John,

You "ARE" the man! That sounds like a plan. Scary for me is I understood everything you typed. I'm doing it...

Thanks man,

Skywatcher
farss wrote on 2/8/2004, 2:49 AM
Actually having to do seperate renders makes perfect sense given how a DVD is authored. I'm just hoping they findally give us the ability to make use of that properly i.e. mulitple language soundtracks. I've got a client who needs it and I'm abou to have to jump ship, probably to a Sonic DVD Producer. The thought of having to create each and every asset outside the authoring app doesn't thrill me too much though.
Skywatcher wrote on 2/8/2004, 11:18 AM
How true farss!

Man! You dudes "KUNG FU is strong...

Skywatcher