How do I make imported video with alpha work.

wayne-severson wrote on 11/9/2016, 9:47 AM

I have some downloaded footage with an alpha channel. After putting it in the project I've gone to the properties of the clip and changed the media alpha channel to premultiplied (I've tried all the settings).  Still all I see is the image and the checkerboard alpha, nothing in the lower layers comes through. What am I missing?

Comments

FilmingPhotoGuy wrote on 11/9/2016, 12:21 PM

I use straight unamatted. What software generated your alpha work. I use stuff from Particle Illusion and it's works great for me

wayne-severson wrote on 11/9/2016, 2:00 PM

no straight doesn't do it either...  my source is  demo from pond 5.

https://www.pond5.com/stock-video-footage/1/alpha-channel.html#2

GregFlowers wrote on 11/9/2016, 2:57 PM

Did you actually purchase the video from Pond5 or did you just download the sample from the page? The sample doesn't actually have an alpha channel. Its just showing you what it would look like. Its an 960x540 MP4 file. The one for purchase does have an alpha channel. Its a 1920x1080 MOV/PNG file with alpha channel.

wayne-severson wrote on 11/9/2016, 3:12 PM

I had wondered about that, no I downloaded the demo.... I think it was the checkerboard background that made me think it had the alpha. Thanks, I'll try some other things from other places to be sure I understand and succeed in my attempts.  Sorry, it's all still a bit fresh for me.